If I marry my Partner how can I ensure my Child gets the Home

Sixties Child

I own my own home I have one Adult Child I was never married .
If I marry my Partner how can I ensure my Child gets the Home my Partner is in agreement with this

Your spouse / partner will have to renounce their legal right share.

How old is your child?

Being in much the same boat, married in later life - I owned a house, new partner owned a house. I asked a solicitor informally about making a will and leaving a life interest in my home (bigger) that we live in to my partner, and he went Oooooh, that'll be difficult. What we wanted to do was leave a house each to our own kids (we've one each).

Anyway, we still haven't done a will since we got married but we should have done so... a new year's resolution to do this year.

ok, so on the assumption there's no additional needs here & your adult child is self supporting, guardianship etc., is not an issue at this stage.

You'll need to consider if your spouse renounces their legal right share and the home is left to your offspring in the event of your demise; where will your spouse live?

You can consider leaving a right of sole residence to your spouse with the property reverting to your offspring following their demise.

You should get legal advice however and you should both make a will.

IANAL

Back