Idiomatic, grammatical, spelling and other misteaks....

I do be on Parkgate Stree during the day

Unusual to see this feature of Hiberno-English written down!

If you think of your gaeilge - "Bimse" - 'I do be' or even 'I does be".

I does be eating my dinner in the middle of the day. If you're Davy Fitz you will end the sentence with a further confirmation - "So I do", "So I am", "So I will" so.....bleedin' annoying Davy.

You're gonna hate this. It's in a dictionary and another source dates the first appearance in print to the 18th century. I always regarded it a Dublinese but the Ahmuhrikhans have claimed it. They're welcome.
Yes, it's been around for a long time but it's still incorrect.

If you think of your gaeilge - "Bimse" - 'I do be' or even 'I does be".
You are correct. Another example would be “The mist that does be on the bog”. There is a 'habitual present' tense in Irish – an modh somethingorother láithreach – that does not really exist in English. It's not directly translatable. The nearest might be the continuous present tense in English but you need an auxiliary verb to qualify 'to be'. So it might be better in translation to say e.g. “I do be selling drugs on Parkgate Street during the day” or “The mist that does be on the bog limits visibility to under a kilometer”. Hiberno-English is part of our culture and its use is definitely not ungrammatical.

Last edited:
Managers in my workplace confused VIP with nota bene (NB) on a number of occasions. :rolleyes:

Marion

There is a 'habitual present' tense in Irish – an modh somethingorother láithreach...................Hiberno-English is part of our culture and its use is definitely not ungrammatical.

An aimsir gnáthláithreach is what you are looking for.

"Hiberno-English is part of our culture and its use is definitely not ungrammatical"......like, are you saying like, that you can shove the Irish into the English and like there's no line at all at all or at least at all? Will is a gut?

An aimsir gnáthláithreach is what you are looking for.

"Hiberno-English is part of our culture and its use is definitely not ungrammatical"......like, are you saying like, that you can shove the Irish into the English and like there's no line at all at all or at least at all? Will is a gut?
Not Cork English; that's never correct. :D

"They seemed to have gotten" not alone is this construct ungrammatical, it's ugly and I suspect of American origin. "Got" is the past tense of "get", "gotten" isn't an English word. At some stage in the past "they seemed" to have obtained or bought something. Now we're in the present, this no longer seems to be the case.

Addicting instead of addictive.
Addicting is a verb, not as adjective.
The Yanks are always at it, so they are, verbalising dem nouns and de adjectives.

"Don't you disrespect me" rather than "Don't be disrespectful toward me" is another one.

"to me" rather than "towards me", the latter being another obscene Americanism gaining traction with the Brits.

Left instead of let. As in "He was left off the charges". That's not slang, it's just using a word incorrectly.

Much like "Pacifically" instead of "Specifically".
Pacifically: Tending to diminish or put an end to conflict.
Specifically: in a way that is exact and clear; precisely. In a definite or precise manner.

Audi Cork
Franchise Dealer

Just as an example lads, not a declaration of war on the South. I was pricing cars and they came up in the search and of course immediately got my back up.

A "Franchise Dealer", for Audi or another brand of car, in Cork or other independent republics, deals in franchises, they don't sell cars. I think they and other "Franchise Dealers" mean to described themselves as "Franchised Dealers". In other words, they hold a licence or permit from Audi to sell expensive VWs in Cork. A bit cringe-worthy, but then Mr Audi probably doesn't sprachen der native Corkonian Englisch.

I have often heard people saying “Nordrun” Ireland but lately, some Irish TV presenters are pronouncing it this way.

Back