Idiomatic, grammatical, spelling and other misteaks....

"Originally from" ?

"I'm originally from Dublin" ? No, you're from Dublin, adding 'originally' is meaningless.

Not at all. I was born in Dublin, spent the first 3 years in Dublin, then I moved to Cork, have lived there since.

I am from Cork, I am originally from Dublin.

Actually as a cremeegg I am originally from a chocolate factory and now my wrapper resides beside some blokes computer.

Not at all. I was born in Dublin, spent the first 3 years in Dublin, then I moved to Cork, have lived there since.

Actually as a cremeegg I am originally from a chocolate factory and now my wrapper resides beside some blokes computer.
Ahh, you're a Dub who grew up in Cork... that explains the occasional lapses into rationality from the usual Cork madness.:D:p
You locals sill call you a blow-in?

But, to all intents and purposes, you're from Cork. Saying 'originally from Dublin' can only be relevant if you're trying to claim affinity with the Dubs or Leinster Rugby. And, in fairness, why wouldn't you ? It'll be a long time before Sam sees the Lee, or Munster get that third star :p

But, to all intents and purposes, you're from Cork. Saying 'originally from Dublin' can only be relevant if you're trying to claim affinity with the Dubs or Leinster Rugby. And, in fairness, why wouldn't you ? It'll be a long time before Sam sees the Lee, or Munster get that third star :p
Jasus, that was a bit harsh! All true, but still... :D

To revert to the OP's point, may I offer overuse of "in relation to" on the radio? Example: "To answer your question in relation to pay scales, blah blah..."

What's wrong with a simple "about"?

"In relation to" implies two or more concepts and a connection between them.

"Reputable companies are as likely as any other to be involved in shady business practices."

I like using direct quotes from this site. I know exactly what the poster means but it still makes me smile!

"Reputable companies are as likely as any other to be involved in shady business practices."

I like using direct quotes from this site. I know exactly what the poster means but it still makes me smile!

I am not getting it :). A good reputation is image. Practices, shady or otherwise are reality.

I do be on Parkgate Stree during the day

Unusual to see this feature of Hiberno-English written down!

I am from Cork, I am originally from Dublin..

No. You are from Dublin but you live in Cork.

I do be on Parkgate Stree during the day

Unusual to see this feature of Hiberno-English written down!
Not al all, Frank Sinatra sang about it, spreading the usage:- "Do be, do be, do, dah dah dah dih dah, do be, do be, do. Strangers in the night ...".

You're gonna hate this. It's in a dictionary and another source dates the first appearance in print to the 18th century. I always regarded it a Dublinese but the Ahmuhrikhans have claimed it. They're welcome.

Back