Ideas for lunches please!

boogaloo

hi all,

I'm getting a bit fed up of the old cheese & ham toastie, just wondered if people would mind posting suggestions for lunches, hot or cold, vegetarian or not! The following are what I tend to rotate:

Cheese & Ham
Crackers & cheese, tomato
Toast & beans
Soup & roll
Piece of chicken pasta bake from night before's dinner
Vegetable curry

What else do people go for?

thanks!

thanks loughquinn.

I've just realised that my user name came up as bogaloo and not bluebean....I share my computer, would this be why? I never looked at the user name for the first post, just assumed it would come up under bluebean as I had logged on to this machine this morning...

When I was working in the sticks and the choice of lunch was from the petrol station, or nothing, my wife did the following.

Cook up a bit wok-load of stir fry chicken or beef and fill small freezer bags with it. I would take one of these to work and defrost it in the microwave. Add in some KOKA or TESCO noodles and I had a tasty lunch for not much cost. You wouldn't eat it 5 days a week, but then again what would you eat every day wthout change ?

Vanilla said:
As I am currently on a diet due to impending sun holiday, lunch of choice is ratatouille ( http://www.beyond.fr/food/ratatouille.html ). Otherwise salad ( boring I know). Not that its doing much good...due to those dastardly chocolate marketing techniques.

That recipe makes 4.5 litres and serves 12!!!! :urgh

This one [broken link removed]
is a more manageable version for one for those interested...

Depends on your household, I guess, I tend to make a big pot, and have it for several meals. I've never frozen it, but I suppose you could too, if you felt you wouldnt use it all up.

This is by far the best recipe website out there.. http://allrecipes.com/

You can change the ingredients from ounces to grams and amounts required depending on the servings you choose. It has different print formats and it has detailed nutritional information.

My wife does a lovely chilli that's easy to make and tastes yum, it can be turned into a veggie dish by leaving out the minced beef and adding some courgette etc. Don't know exact quantities, but it goes like this

2x chopped and peeled onions
1x Red pepper, diced
Minced beef
Red kidney beans
Fresh coriander (about €1 in Tesco)
1x red chili pepper, minus the seeds, finely chopped
1x clove garlic, finely chopped
Lemon juice

Lightly brown mince, adding garlic and chili
Add remainder of ingredients and small quantity of water, simmer over low heat, serve with rice. When cool it can be put in those plastic containers you get from the Chinese takeaway and frozen. Makes a cheap and tastey dinner, especially good with a chilled beer!

Toasted pitta breads with lots of different fillings, combinations are endless. Also tortillas, spread a little green pesto over the tortilla, add any fillling such as peppers, tomatoes etc and some grated cheese. Microwave for 1 minute. Very nice. Change the ingredients to keep interesting. You could also fill it with the chilli recipe above. Baked potatoes are also nice if you have a microwave at work, lots of different fillings too!

My mum's Ham bread. Make it once and enjoy a slice everyday. I developped a spicy chorizo alternative over the years... If you make it, send me samples for quality control purposes!

Cake aux champignons

Serves 6

250 g mushrooms
40 g butter
150 g ham (thick slices) or Chorizo – which I used
100 g gruyère (better) or emmental cheese
3 sprigs parsley
4 eggs
1 dl oil
2 c à s Moutarde de Dijon mustard (i.e : hot)
200 g flour

un demi paquet de levure i.e: raising agent, I used a small teaspoon of baking powder
salt and pepper

Preheat oven

Slice mushrooms

Melt butter in a saucepan and throw in mushroom slices; stir from time to time until done

Cut ham (or chorizo) and cheese into dice

Chop parsley

Beat the eggs and add: oil, mustard, salt, pepper; mix

Mix flour with baking powder and add slowly to your egg mix until smooth

Then add: ham, cheese, mushrooms and parsley. Mix well.

You’re nearly done: butter the sides of dish so your bread won’t stick, pour in the mix and into the oven for 30-40 minutes @ 200-220 C

Enjoy warm or cold, with a side salad and rosé wine from Provence or some stronger Spanish red if you went for the chorizo.

Never underestimate spicing up the samde old sandwich with any of the following:
chilli powder
wholegrain mustard
jallipino relish
piccilli
beetroot

Back