ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) using Reward Structures. - Is this an expensive quote?

D

Donnachain

Hi everyone

i got a quote from a company and wondering what you guys think. is it expensive or reasonable?

To excavate top soil from drive placing hardcore leveling and tracking in with excavator (hardcore not included) supply and lay raft foundation including reinforced concrete, radon barrier and radon ducting €13,750.00

Erecting outer walls in 280mm ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) including Concrete and pump hire, steel reinforcement, DPC's, props & bracings, Window & door shutter linings, Concrete suspended floor, 100mm orth block partitions, Scaffolding, concrete sills, Coloured external render, skim plaster finish throughout internal, Dropped ceilings to allow for services, labour €103,200.00

Works Exclude
Stone hardcore and blinding for drive as it’s not possible to quantify until top soil has been removed, blinding, footpaths, piping, ducting, landscaping, Tiling painting, Sanitary ware, Fancy light fittings, Joinery-internal doors skirting architrave stairs, Septic tank & associated works, Kerbing

Re: ICF - Is this an expensive quote?

You're not giving us alot to go on. How big is the house for example?

What ICF product is it? Or what is the u-value proposed for the walls?

2790 square foot house.

were using Reward Structures. [broken link removed] i have to ask about the u value.

Ok, I can help a little here. I got a quote for my house from them a few weeks ago. Approx. 380 metres squared of wall came in at 43K for the walls only. I already have foundations.

This is for the Neopor option. Its offers a better u-value i.e. 0.21

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Sas. i havent a clue what any of that means haha is the quote expensive do you think or is that a good price. im actually getting a price from nudura in a few days so ill post the price they quote me as well for everyone who is interested to know.

Nudura will be more expensive. Its imported whereas Reward is manufactured here.

Make sure to get the u-value of both, its important for comparisons. Don't swallow any garbage about "performance u-value". Nudura were talking to me about it performing like a wall with a u-value of 0.12 due to its airtightness. This is absolute horse muck!

Neopor is a different type of polysytrene that Reward can make the panels out of, its a better insulator. Minimal cost increase in materials. Doesn't affect labour at all.

i have no clue what u value is haha i will tell by bf thank you so much :)

you seem to know lots about it. :) would you think this is a good price.

i have no clue what u value is haha i will tell by bf thank you so much :)

you seem to know lots about it. :) would you think this is a good price.

I'm at the dangerous stage between knowing nothing and not knowing enough to realise how little I actually know!

Anyway, u-value is effectively a measurement of how good the insulation is. The current building regs. specify a min. of 0.27 for your external walls(smaller is better).
0.21 is a really good value. 0.15 is a fantastic value, nothing tends to go below that in reality.

Can't comment on the price I'm afraid. Haven't gotten my quotes for plastering etc yet.

If you don't know much about it then why did you select this building method may I ask?

because i heard its the best. holds in heat better, sound proof and the internal walls are fire resistant for up to 4 hrs and its a fast build.

ah ok thats cool i will ask him that so and let you know what price nudura give me. at least the plastering of the inner and outer walls are included in that price :) thank god.

HI I'VE HEARD OF A COMPANY THAT DOES ICF, THINKS THEY'RE CALLED A.M CONSTRUCTION???? SORRY NOT SURE IF THERE'S A WEBSITE OR NOT, BUT MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET A PHONE NUMBER IF THAT'LL HELP. MAY BE WORTH A CALL IF ONLY TO GET A QUOTE.

Neopor is a different type of polysytrene that Reward can make the panels out of, its a better insulator. Minimal cost increase in materials. Doesn't affect labour at all.

I thought Reward product was like a lego brick arrangement, I did n't think they made individual single panel arrangement.

sabre

Last edited:

I thought Reward product was like a lego brick arrangement, I did n't think they made individual single panel arrangement.

sabre

Ok, swap the word "panel" for whatever makes you happy.

Sorry SAS, I didn,t mean to be pedantic over the phrasing, its just that reward blocks are for a double panel arrangement effectively, polystyrene, concrete core and polystyrene. Where as there are single panel wall systems like M2 that is a single panel with 35 mm concrete both sides, and no core fill, although they do a double panel wall section that will give more or less the same result as a reward block.

Its just when you mentioned panel, I thought that maybe they were about to introduce a single panel system as well, and I would have been interested to see that.

sabre

Last edited:
Re: ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) using Reward Structures. - Is this an expensive qu

Did you get any quote from M2 for a single panel or double panel for your build.

sabre

Don't swallow any garbage about "performance u-value". Nudura were talking to me about it performing like a wall with a u-value of 0.12 due to its airtightness. This is absolute horse muck!

I was quoted a u-value of 0.11 from Nudura!!! What is it in reality anyone? Also does anyone have a table of u-values for all of the ICF suppliers here in Ireland?

I was quoted a u-value of 0.11 from Nudura!!! What is it in reality anyone? Also does anyone have a table of u-values for all of the ICF suppliers here in Ireland?

Check the BBA cert on http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/ for it.

Which supplier quoted that? (PM me please) That sounds like the performance u-value they like to talk about. As I said before, it's complete rubbish.

Re: ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) using Reward Structures. - Is this an expensive qu

I should have checked the cert before I posted. The BBA cert contains the thermal conductivity of the EPS used and the size of the EPS leaf i.e. 67mm inside and out. Not the actual u-value.

Using the SEI u-value calculator and treating the walls as simply being 134mm (2 * 67) of EPS with the conductivity from the BBA cert (0.037)
I get a u-value fo 0.27. Include the render, concrete core and internal plasterboard won't greatly improve this.

In order to get to 0.11 with 134mm you need a conductivity of 0.015. I haven't seen anything get that low that is readily available here.

They'd have to be increasing the size of the EPS leaf to get down to 0.11 like all the other ICF suppliers.

In a nutshell, they're lying.

There was a good article on how to achieve a 0.11 U value for walls in the current edition of the Self Build mag - it did not list ICF as being able to achieve this. The next issue of Self Build (due out soon) has a chapter on ICF so it will be interesting to see if they go into U Values. I've no connection with the "Self Build" magazine by the way.

In the meantime I'll try and put together a table of ICF companies in Ireland and their "claimed" U Values. If anyone has already done this then please post here.

Back