IAVI upheld complaint but no compensation

Is this the same media that have been printing doom and gloom for the last year, producing epic disaster 'movies' like futureshock, I don't think that argument will stand up anymore.
Yes. But you're only fooling yourself if you think that the doom and gloom in the property markets (globally, as well as domestic) is merely an invention of the media.

What are they going to do now if they are 'utterly dependent on advertising income'?

Lose money, probably. The leading local newspaper in my neck of the woods has already announced redundancies.

So by your own reckoning, more than 50% of estate agents are less than moral?
Give or take a few.

Yes. But you're only fooling yourself if you think that the doom and gloom in the property markets (globally, as well as domestic) is merely an invention of the media.

I don't remember saying it was an invention, I'm saying it is reported which in no terms is good news for Ea's which contradicts your first assertion.

I don't remember saying it was an invention, I'm saying it is reported which in no terms is good news for Ea's which contradicts your first assertion.

Of course the property market crisis has been reported in the media. Given its magnitude, the story would have been impossible to suppress indefinitely. However this not alter or contradict my assertion that the Irish media have been utterly dependent on advertising income from the auctioneering industry for the past decade. Anyone who has literally read a newspaper in that period could tell you that.

Sorry to disagree with your view on Senator Ross. IAVI has been a long running topic with him- over a year ago he successful applied to Bray District Court and became an 'auctioneer'- with the sole aim of showing up a so-called profession.

So in my books- this is not a short term campaign he is leading...
Fair play to Shane Ross, I thought his appearance on Primetime debating against the president of the IAVI was one of the funniest things I’ve seen on tv in a long time,
He has a long record of campaigning for tighter regulation of the auctioneering industry and has shown the industry up time and time again as a bunch of rogues!
If it was me I would email him.

Your assertion that the Irish media depend on the income of property advertising was the grounds for this claim:
In fairness this might be asking a bit much when the entire media have been utterly dependent on advertising income from the auctioneering industry for an entire decade.
with reference to credible writing on the issue.

If it was me I would email him.
If it was you what?

He has a long record of campaigning for tighter regulation of the auctioneering industry and has shown the industry up time and time again as a bunch of rogues!

For industry read individuals.

Your assertion that the Irish media depend on the income of property advertising was the grounds for this claim: with reference to credible writing on the issue.
"In fairness this might be asking a bit much when the entire media have been utterly dependent on advertising income from the auctioneering industry for an entire decade."

...which I stand over, 100%.

So does this not contradict that opinion
Of course the property market crisis has been reported in the media. Given its magnitude, the story would have been impossible to suppress indefinitely

No, it does not contradict it. (I think I said that earlier, btw)

I'll put my point differently, in case you misunderstand me.

1. The Irish auctioneering industry and the property market in general enjoyed years of positive publicity from newspapers and other media.

2. My own suspicion is that at least part of this positive publicity was linked to the media's dependence on revenues from property advertising.

3. Notwithstanding this, the media have reported the current crisis in the market, because the extent of the crisis, globally and locally, is such that not to report it would bring their entire credibility into serious doubt.

Do you disagree with any of these points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan
The same way as any other issue - write a credible story and let the headlines do the selling.
In fairness this might be asking a bit much when the entire media have been utterly dependent on advertising income from the auctioneering industry for an entire decade.

My original point was that you do not need to use colourful language and demonise people to make your point, if the story is true then an accurate portrayal of that story should suffice. Your point to my understanding was that writing a credible story on abuses by EA's was unlikely because the papers were so dependent on their advertising income. My final point highlighted the overly newgative portrayal of the current market as proof that the media does not bow to EA's, but you dismiss this as simply because they have no other choice than to report it. It doesn't quite add up that across the board the media would completely turn a blind eye to scoops on corruption, greed etc purely on the basis that it would affect their income. If anything reporting on such things would be welcomed because it would help eliminate the 'bad eggs' and help the rest of us to restore some credibility.

With relation to your points:

1. The Irish auctioneering industry and the property market in general enjoyed years of positive publicity from newspapers and other media.

I would agree with this and add to that many vendors, developers and even purchasers to that list.

2. My own suspicion is that at least part of this positive publicity was linked to the media's dependence on revenues from property advertising.

That may be your suspicion, but it sadly lacks proof. It would have been hard to knock the market in the last 10/15 years, there were plenty of doomsayers and their voices were heard, but the market moved on regardless.

3. Notwithstanding this, the media have reported the current crisis in the market, because the extent of the crisis, globally and locally, is such that not to report it would bring their entire credibility into serious doubt.

They have reprted this because its happening, but the overtly negative vibe that is attached to any report or even if a commentator has a positive spin they are talked down, so I don't think they are reporting because they have to, i think this is the next big story and a crash would make great news. Disasters sell papers almost as much as sex!

If it was you what?
If think he is refering back to my original question that started this Thread. But now it seem to have gone on a bit of a tangent...

Still not sure wre I should go with my complaint though. As I said the IAVI has 'fined' their estate agent (he has to pay the IAVI) but I get no compensation?!...

sorry, I nearly forgot there was a question in here. From what I can see from your following quote, the second point is where you want your compo from. From the way I read it 4-6 weeks turned into 4-6 months, but no matter how misleading he was you had the power at all times to pull the sale. I don't understand how nayones powers of persuasion could get you to wait 3/5 months longer than you wanted. You could go to the courts but I think its best to chalk it down as experience. I don't think the IAVI would have reasonable grounds to hit him for compo regarding your 2nd point.
1) We did notice it straight away he just disputed it until he was corrected by the IAVI. This process took 8 months!
2) We were waiting on the purchasers to get contracts signed for their house before they could sign with us. The estate agent was aware of complications in this process but misled us as to how long this would take (4-6 weeks instead of 4-6 months!) Had we been correctly informed we wouldn't have proceeded with this purchaser.

Your assertion that the Irish media depend on the income of property advertising was the grounds for this claim: with reference to credible writing on the issue.

If it was you what?

For industry read individuals.

Mr. Man, you seem perplexed by my comments, they did not relate to you the were for the attention of the OP who i believe should email Shane Ross to highlight the issue at hand as it obvioulsy was not dealt with by the relevent regulatory body.

Mr. Man, you seem perplexed by my comments, they did not relate to you the were for the attention of the OP who i believe should email Shane Ross to highlight the issue at hand as it obvioulsy was not dealt with by the relevent regulatory body.

Ya I was perplexed? thats why the initial part of my response wasn't aimed at you it was obviously for ubiquitous.

I am part of the industry that you were so flippant about so I would content that it was aimed at me.

OP you said "The estate agent was aware of complications in this process but misled us as to how long this would take (4-6 weeks instead of 4-6 months!) Had we been correctly informed we wouldn't have proceeded with this purchaser. "

You also said you got back the money overcharged basically the auctioneer overcharged you and you got this back and that is all the IAVI thinks he did wrong. Is it possible that when he told you 4 to 6 weeks he himself believed it to be true. Often in property transactions something that seems quite simple can in fact turn out to be long and protracted and that would not be the fault of the auctioneer. If this is an option then going to court might be futile.

Bronte, you are quiet right; this is all the IAVA thinks he did wrong. The majority of our issues weren’t even addressed. Basically the point I am making is we had to spent almost a year to get a basic overcharge back and (no apologies or anything else) the real issues we had we the estate agent were mainly ignored and we were thanked "for bringing this to our attention", that was it...

Back