"I built a house in 2013, am I exempt from LPT?"

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I did an interview for Mid West Radio this morning and was asked this question, which I had not come across before.

The date of purchase for a house sale, is very clear - the date the sale is closed and the money and keys change hands.

What is the effective date for someone building their home?

Is it the date they bought the site?
Do they get a completion certificate from an architect?

Brendan

OK, The Revenue website says

Are new properties that are built by the owner (self builds) exempt from LPT?
If the property has been completed between 1 January 2013 and 1 May 2013 it will be exempt from LPT, provided the owner occupies the property as his or her sole or main residence.

Any residential property built by its owner after 1 May 2013 and before 1 November 2016, will not be liable for LPT until 2017.
What is the signficance in this regard of 1 May 2013?

When is a house considered "built"?

OK, I missed the bigger point. The 31 December 2013 has no relevance for self builds.

They are exempt from LPT if they are built before 1 Novermber 2016.

Would still be curious to know when a house is deemed to have been built. Is it when it's weather tight? When utilities are connected? When the owner moves in (unlikely)? When all conditions attached to planning permission have been met?

Anyone know for sure?

I moved into self-build house in April and that was the date that I told Revenue and got confirmation that I was exempt from LPT. Hope that helps.

Back