Motor Huge increase in premium.

toby2111

Last year I got car insurance with AIG for around €420 fully comp with NCB protection. This year they want€869!! I rang to enquire if this was a misprint, guy said he'd get on to the underwriters and get back to me. Rang back 15 mins later to say that was the correct quote but he could offer me 5% discount!! I burst out laughing and told him that AIG had just lost a customer. What a ridiculous quote for a 40 year old with no claims (ok 4 penalty points but that shouldn't make a huge difference.)
Anyway, spent a bit of time getting online quotes, a few around €700. Guy in chill.ie rang me, got quote for €560. I still think that's way too high. This evening I got a quote from 25plus.ie for €470. Gonna ring 2moro to talk through exact policy but looks ok. Anybody use them before? Any other recommendations for a quote?

I was tempted with 25plus this year but continued with Zurich which was 100 euro more than last year's premium of 430. I did ring them complaining and they knocked it down to 510 for the year a decrease of 20 euro..i could have went with 25 plus for 380 euro but read terrible reviews and could not get through to them several times when I tried ringing..For peace of mind and with excellent cover I opted with Zurich. .try everywhere before an online based car insurance company. that's my advice but agree to hike in your premium sounds crazy..why are we paying over 20 percent more for car insurance this year is besides me.

try Aaron insurance broker ring them in Dublin office they are pretty good and reasonable if I wasn't with Zurich with home insurance to I'd go with Aaron for my cat insurance in saying that Zurich did knock an extra 50 of my home insurance because I've my motor insurance also so it's all relative I guess

toby2111 - Also had a big jump in renewal quote - also with AIG (via broker) - I haven't started ringing around as of yet though. Mine jumped up around €140 from last year (quote coming in at €525), so no where near your increase. I'm not looking forward to the "fun" of getting a better price with the cover I want. I usually only use two brokers each & every year (AA & O'Leary insurance) which have always been very competitive for me.
Eamo15 - I'll add that broker to my list to try this year - thanks for that.

Got mine renewal from Ulster Bank, fully comp for €495 which is only up 30 on last year. I drive 20k+ miles pa which does drive mine up. Haven't been able to get a cheaper quote yet, mine has 0 points and full NCB.

My understanding is that a lot of companies are building up their reserves for regulatory reasons and that is potentially driving it up

Have used 25plus.ie alright. They offer good quotes for first time customers, not so sure about renewal. I changed my car before my renewal was due and didnt continue with them as they didnt insure the typre of car I bought. You will find it next to impossible to contact them by phone and a €10 admin fee will apply if you want them to change anything on your account over the phone. Everything is done online an dvia webchat which suits me but may not suit some people.

Funnily enough when I was with them it was AIG insurance that I was insured with (obviously 25plus are a broker). Might be worth hceckin gout what insurance company that quote is actually from.

Yep, AIG are the underwriters. So I can get insurance through a broker for 470 with AIG (whom I'm currently with). Yet my renewal with the same company is over €400 more?! There's something rotten in the insurance market. Chill.ie have the next best quote at €566 with ARB (whoever they are). Spent a few hours today getting online quotes and phone calls and most were between 600 and 700. Why is my insurance getting hammered? No claims or crashes, drive a 2012 bog standard car. Would 4 penalty points hike it that much?
I'll try those brokers 2moro, thanks for the tip, keep them coming. I'm willing to spend hours more getting a reasonable quote!

Yep, AIG are the underwriters. So I can get insurance through a broker for 470 with AIG (whom I'm currently with). Yet my renewal with the same company is over €400 more?! There's something rotten in the insurance market. Chill.ie have the next best quote at €566 with ARB (whoever they are). Spent a few hours today getting online quotes and phone calls and most were between 600 and 700. Why is my insurance getting hammered? No claims or crashes, drive a 2012 bog standard car. Would 4 penalty points hike it that much?
I'll try those brokers 2moro, thanks for the tip, keep them coming. I'm willing to spend hours more getting a reasonable quote!
Having rung about 10 different brokers/companies i found AA Insurance the best.

AA are €810 fully comp with NCB protection so I'll be staying away from them. I'm astounded at how I'm getting quotes of over +€400 this year compared to last. Heard a guy on radio earlier saying car premiums have jumped "up to" 20%......well mine is 100% extra. Crazy! If I have to go with a crappy online company like 25plus to save 3 or 400, well then thats what I'll have to do. At least they're underwritten by AIG.

Any other recommendations for a quote?

This company are advertising two year car and or home insurance, I know nothing about them and have no connection with them.

http://www.blueinsurance.ie/

Neither my car or home insurance is due until next year, but out of interest, I got online quotes.

Car insurance was more expensive than I currently pay for one year and slightly more than double my current payment for two years.

Home insurance was cheaper than my current payment for one year and a lot cheaper than double my current payment for two years.

With all the talk of rising premiums for both car and home insurance this would seem like a good option particularly if your quote is currently the best available for the same level of cover and benefits that you have.

Managed to get a quote of €447 fully comp,full NCB protection from its4women.ie!! Think they're the same crowd as 25plus as website looks the same,reviews arent great though.Customer service supposed to be poor but at that price I'm very tempted!

I think that Allianz are offering a 14% discount at the moment for motor policies taken out online.
I saved about €150 by going that route.....

Last year I got car insurance with AIG for around €420 fully comp with NCB protection. This year they want€869!! I rang to enquire if this was a misprint, guy said he'd get on to the underwriters and get back to me. Rang back 15 mins later to say that was the correct quote but he could offer me 5% discount!! I burst out laughing and told him that AIG had just lost a customer. What a ridiculous quote for a 40 year old with no claims (ok 4 penalty points but that shouldn't make a huge difference.)
Anyway, spent a bit of time getting online quotes, a few around €700. Guy in chill.ie rang me, got quote for €560. I still think that's way too high. This evening I got a quote from 25plus.ie for €470. Gonna ring 2moro to talk through exact policy but looks ok. Anybody use them before? Any other recommendations for a quote?

I was with AIG last year and got it really cheap. They were entering the Irish market and were trying to be very competitive (must have been operating at a loss). When the renewal came in, it was multiples of the previous years. I was in a small fender bender earlier this year and the person I crashed into claimed off my insurance, so I've lost my no claims bonus. Not looking forward to my renewal in January. :(

So, in the end I went with its4women.ie..... Strange sounding brokers but got it for 447,fully comp with full NCB protection. Funnily enough, they're underwritten by AIG, who were charging me 869! Next best was blueinsurance who quoted about 490. Best advice is to ring around and get as many quotes online or over the phone as possible.

Just want to say thanks for drawing my attention to is4women.ie - they've come in €200 lower than my renewal, which is almost exactly what I paid last year.

No problem. Be prepared to hunt around again next year at renewal time as premiums are only going one way...and thats up.

Have done some reading up on reviews of the company - they are appalling! I'm going to consider whether it's worth the risk.

Back