How will the new 0.6% pension fund levy work?

ajapale

Proposed 0.5% Pension Tax: Is this pension contribution or pension fund tax?

If its a fund tax how will it be applied to under funded db schemes?

It sounds like a tax on the value of the fund. My pension fund is now worth less than half the amount I contributed, now it seems the rest will slowly be siphoned off. I guess the defined benefit schemes will suffer the same fate, but the employer will be forced to increase contributions.

Yes looks like it will also apply to DB schemes

[broken link removed]

Note it's only going to be applied to private pension provision

Thanks

Levy Proposal

1. An annual levy of between 0.5% and 0.6% of the pension scheme assets of all pension savers including savings in occupational defined benefit and defined contribution schemes, approved retirement funds, retirement annuity contracts and PRSAs.
  2. This levy will be applied for a minimum period of 4 years from 2011 to 2014 and is intended to raise €450 million per annum over this period.
  3. The Government intends to enact new legislation which will permit the benefits of pensioners in defined benefit pension schemes to be cut.
  4. This measure is solely being targeted at private sector pension savers - there will be no levy on long term savings accumulated through other vehicles or the benefits provided to members of unfunded schemes including the €130b of public sector pension's commitments. The proposal appears to completely exempt these groups for this new tax.
Note to the Editor
About IAPF
Established in 1973, the Irish Association of Pension Funds (IAPF) is a non- profit, non-commercial organisation whose aim is to promote financial security for all retired people.
Will the pension fund tax apply to public sector funded DB schemes such as ESB, Bord na Mona, Bord Gas etc? Some of these funds are in defecit.

Will the pension fund tax apply to distressed private sector DB schemes?

Presumably the proposed Levy will apply to funded semi-state schemes (such as ESB etc). It seems that unfunded schemes escape the Levy, mainly -but not exclusively- civil servants. It might be argued that working Civil Servants have made a contribution (the increase in their pension contribution - though that is arguable) but the group that seems to escape entirely is retired civil servants and retired politicians whose pensions are not paid by annuity but rather out of the public purse.

For those in DC arrangements, the effect of the proposed Levy will be to increase the typical annual fund management charge from say 1% p.a. to 1.5% p.a. for at least 4 years. For those in DB schemes it is less clear how the Levy will impact on members benefits (unless they/employer simply pay an additional contribution directly to the Revenue). In the case of ARFs it would seem that the ARF provider will simply reduce the fund value by 0.5% (in addition to the 5% p.a. drawdown that the individual must take each year - and pay tax on). This will put ARF under greater pressure of running out of funds in older age.

It seems life my mother was right all those years ago - "a good pensionable job in the Civil Service".

Presumably the proposed Levy will apply to funded semi-state schemes (such as ESB etc).

Yes, I cant see how the government could discriminate between:

A)funded commercial semi state DB schemes.
B)funded former semi state DB schemes.
C)funded private DB schemes.

I know that some distressed DB schemes have upped employee contributions in recent years and some benefits have been curtailed.

Also since these schemes are final salary schemes current employees who have or will endure pay cuts will presumabley be retiring on pro rata reduced pensions? Is this interpretation correct?

..which if implemented will undermine the entire rationale behind saving for retirement.

I agree.

May I suggest that we keep this thread to discuss the detailed mechanics of the of the proposal and its impact?

I wouldnt like to see the discussion degenerating into another Public/Private sector ding dong.

It appears to me that substantial parts of the public sector (and former public sector) will be impacted (funded DB schemes).

The other huge area impacted is employees in private dc schemes.

Yes the proposals as I understand them do not impact on Civil and Public Servants. And (as yet) people who have made alternative or no provisions for retirement.

How will it work on DB schemes? Easy to impose on a DC scheme because the value of the fund is clear. That's not the case with DB schemes many of which have basically a minus value.

Do we have any concrete details of the proposals other the Irish Association of Pension Funds (IAPF) press release? While it is far better than nothing they have a legimate interest in defending their various stakeholders. For instance Im not sure about the assertion that "This measure is solely being targeted at private sector pension savers".

Also I think the government should be aware of the "law of untended consequences" when enacting the proposed new pension fund tax.

I think you are confusing deficit/surplus with assets.

Plenty of DB Schemes have liabilities in excess of their assets - but they all have assets, and substantial ones.

This tax is a disgrace, is there any guarantee they will still not implement the reduction in tax relief over the next few years in addition?

The value of a DB scheme isn't simply the assets in the fund as of today though so is this a tax on assets or values?

It states pension scheme assets in the press release. Devil will be in the detail when Michael noonan announces it.

Michael Noonan will provide full details on Tuesday.

The IAPF clearly have had some sight of the proposals and are setting out their stall. Do we have any idea whether any other "interests" been informally consulted.

There are three ways in which a private sector person actually receives their pension.

(1) DB pension from their employer
(2) ARF
(3) An annuity purchased from a life company

To be consistent all three should be subject to the levy and in the case of (1) and (3) the employer/insurance company should be empowered by law to reduce its payment to the pensioner.

Further thoughts

If this is to be applied fairly to DB members, this is what will be required.

Existing pensioners: 0.5% reduction in pension for 4 years

Active members: 0.5% reduction in accrued pension for 4 years; 0.5% reduction in 2012 accrual for 3 years etc. no reduction for accruals after 2014

Yes, I can see job creation alright, in pension administration departments:mad:

Further thoughts

If this is to be applied fairly to DB members, this is what will be required.

Existing pensioners: 0.5% reduction in pension for 4 years

For existing pensioners, this would be a 0.5% reduction each year for 4 years, so that after this time your annual pension would be 2% lower. If your pension starts at 10,000, it would then drop to
etc.

Also, will the levy apply to pensions (annuities) from DC schemes?

Back