How to transfer €15K to Germany ?

Z

zag

All,

I am trying to transfer some money to Germany which I intend to access as cash when I am over there but have run into a bit of a problem, and I'm hoping someone can suggest some other solution.

I was thinking of doing a 'moneygram' or Western Union type of transfer, but they have a €6,000 limit and won't accept multiple transactions.

I don't have a bank account in Germany to transfer the money to and I don't even know which city I will need it in.

If I get a draft or cash then I run the risk of losing it and being down €15K.

I thought I might be able to draw it down against money lodged to my credit card (AMEX & VISA), but from the looks of things this will depend on the view of the person behind the counter in the agent or bank in Germany. And also on the amount of cash they have to hand.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

z

15k cash, to be handed over at an undisclosed location in Germany, by you and you alone??
I trust you will be careful coming back through customs Zag, otherwise AAM will need a new administrator :)

Do you need access to it all at once? Or could you send one Western Union transfer and once collected have somebody else send the other?
Apart from the methods you mentioned, I can only think of travelers cheques and your ATM card. Is a combination of methods a possibility?

I think a draft made out to the payee might be your best bet - even if you did lose it, it would only be of value to the payee. You could even arrange for somebody here to courier it out to you (insured of course) once you get there.

There is a process for cancelling a lost/stolen draft, though I think you have to indemnify the bank in case it has already been presented.

I thought I might be able to draw it down against money lodged to my credit card (AMEX & VISA),

Surely you should simply be able to withdraw the cash from a CC account using an ATM? Although I imagine €15K might take a few widthdrawals, may empty a few machines and mightn't be the most secure arrangement...

Sorry Zag - just noticed your requirement for cash, so ignore the stuff about the draft made out to the payee.

Most Irish current account ATM cards have a maximum weekly limit as a security feature - I wonder of credit cards have an ATM limit too.

Credit Cards have a daily limit, which as far as I can recall is actually lower than that for an ATM (usually €600 per day but can vary).

split it over a few cashsave accounts and go the atm route as previously mentioned. that'll get around the daily limits

A briefcase, a pair of hand-cuffs & a rent-a-goon to stand beside you.

15k cash to Germany

How could you "loose " 15k in cash ? That is quiet a lump of €50 notes , the risk to loose your passport or credit card is considerable higher .

Re: 15k cash to Germany

Could you bring a draft made payable to yourself and cash it when you get over there?

Brendan

Re: 15k cash to Germany

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think at this stage the easiest (or most reliable) thing is to get someone (that I trust, obviously) to wire the money over to me after I have put down a cash deposit to secure the purchase. Once I have the deposit down, I will obviously know who I am buying from (which I don't know yet) and so I will be able to get their bank details and have the money wired over in 24 hours.

Cheers,

z

Back