Motor How to get insurance details with car registration

delgirl

Someone reversed into the garden wall of my rental property about a month ago and demolished the wall.

My tenant was in the front garden when it happened and took her name, car registration, address and PPS number, but unfortunately didn't get her insurance details.

She offered to have the wall repaired and I spoke to her the following day on her mobile and she apologised and said she would organise the repair.

That was a month ago and now she's not answering my calls, if I call from a private number or another mobile, someone else answers the phone and says she's not there and they don't know when she's coming back.

The wall is lying in the driveway and my tenant hasn't been able to park inside for a month.

I'd like to claim from her car insurance, but only have the registration. I have driven to the address she gave the tenant 3 times, 1 and a half hour round trips each time, but the car has not been parked there.

Is there any way I can get her insurance details from her car registration?

Would the Motor Insurer's Bureau be able to help? Would be worth contacting them anyway.

http://www.mibi.ie/

If they can't provide details of the driver then inform them that you'll be making a claim against them as obviously the driver must have been uninsured.

They won't provide this information to a person.

My first port of call would be the local Garda station. The Gardaí can make a demand of the owner for his insurance details. Otherwise contact a solicitor who can get the information also.

They won't provide this information to a person.

My first port of call would be the local Garda station. The Gardaí can make a demand of the owner for his insurance details. Otherwise contact a solicitor who can get the information also.

Correct but they will be able to ascertain the owner of the vehicle and their insurer, and will contact that insurer to commence the claim, otherwise the claim will be made against the "pot" of money that the MIBI use for uninsured claims.

Only if they are uninsured or unidentified. The vehicle has been identified. The person has just gone to ground. Doesn't make it a matter for MIBI

Only if they are uninsured or unidentified. The vehicle has been identified. The person has just gone to ground. Doesn't make it a matter for MIBI

Can you tell me what the harm is in sending in the claim to the MIBI and seeing what happens? If the MIBI refuse the claim on the basis that the vehicle and driver are insured then perhaps they will identify the insurance company to the OP and then the OP can make a claim against that insurance company. I'm not saying it will definitely work but it's better than nothing.

I don't see you suggesting anything helpful to the OP here.

I would also suggest reporting the accident now to the Garda, you may need your tenant to do this.

This is not a role of the MIBI.

A solicitor will be able to obtain the information and start the claim.

Can you tell me what the harm is in sending in the claim to the MIBI and seeing what happens? If the MIBI refuse the claim on the basis that the vehicle and driver are insured then perhaps they will identify the insurance company to the OP and then the OP can make a claim against that insurance company. I'm not saying it will definitely work but it's better than nothing.

I don't see you suggesting anything helpful to the OP here.

I would also suggest reporting the accident now to the Garda, you may need your tenant to do this.

Because I'm just advising against that option. I could say ring every insurer and try reporting the claim to them. But its pointless and not worth saying. As Time said, contact the Gardai who will make a demand for the details.

Thanks everyone, will go to the local Garda station on Monday and will see what they say.

If you have Car Reg & Address - why not just go around to address and take note of details from insurance disc ?

If you have Car Reg & Address - why not just go around to address and take note of details from insurance disc ?
Tried that nai, unfortunately it's a one and a half hour round trip and in the 3 times that I've gone to the address she gave after the accident, there's been no-one home and the car was not there either.

I've thought about going there at night as the chance of the car being there would probably be greater, however, this person appears to be quite agressive - she verbally abused neighbours who came out to see what happened as they heard wall collapse. Told them it was none of their f'n business etc. So I'm a bit concerned that if I go into her driveway at night to get the insurance details I might be in danger of being attacked.

It could be a fake address for all I know.

I've sent a text to the mobile number I have for her and advised her that I will go to the Gardai on Wednesday if I don't hear from her. Will be interesting to see if there's any response.

I don't know why you're waiting. You should have reported the accident to the Garda a month ago when it happened.

Hey presto, the builder, organised by the woman who knocked the wall over, turned up this morning and says he will have the wall re-built by this afternoon.

Glad I don't have to chase her, but lesson learned - I will never again agree not to inform the Gardai at the request of the other party!

Back