How to fix insulation to dormer bedroom walls.

colin79ie

I plan to double the insulation in the attic and also in the space behind the bedroom walls in the space there. It's a dormer house.

Has anyone done this?

I am trying to find the best way of securing rolled insulation to the back of the vertical walls in the upstairs bedrooms. They already have insulation between the timbers but I want to double it, similar to laying on top of the timbers in the attic.

I plan to double the insulation in the attic and also in the space behind the bedroom walls in the space there. It's a dormer house.

Has anyone done this?

I am trying to find the best way of securing rolled insulation to the back of the vertical walls in the upstairs bedrooms. They already have insulation between the timbers but I want to double it, similar to laying on top of the timbers in the attic.

you would be better off incorporating insulation between the rafters on the sloped section.....

just remember to retain a 50mm air cavity between the insulation and the felt

colin your best bet of the vertical walls would be to install a product designed for this application in timberframe homes (rockwool flexi, metac) which will compressfit between the timber and wont be as prone to slumping over the years as an ordinary fibreglass product would.

as for insulating across these timbers maybe an insulated board (eg kingspan) would be the easiest thing to fix to the timbers but as sydthebeat suggests you could well be losing more heat through the sloped section, these are often poorly insulated and not just on older houses

our builders put mineral wool between the studs on the vertical wall of the dormer. it kept slumping. bought some of that multi foil stuff (supposed to be the equivalent of 200 mm of mineral wool) and stapled it to hold the insulation. it also prevents cold bridging. definitely helped reduce heat loss but the foil is pricey

Back