How to find out: "Who owns that house?"

Jimmy

Hi,
A friend of mine in the US tells me that over there he can ring some authority/council that will tell him who owns a house and how much it was bought for.
Is that info available in Ireland? And if so where?

Larry

Thanks Clubman and Danmo for the rapid response!

Was actually thinking of it from a property investment point of view but can understand why you moved it Clubman.

Never heard of Thoms directory but will check it out also.

:eek:)
Larry

Does Thoms Directory not depend on the occupants of an address being on the Electoral Register? I.E. it might show only the tenants and not the owners, or might show no-one if the occupier doesn't vote? I may be wrong, but that's what I always thought.

Also, isn't Thom's ceasing publication this year?

Hi,
Just to update...

Rang number given on that Land Registry website, they said for that info. you have to call in and point out property on a map, or post in an ordanence survey map of the area with the place highlighted.

They won't give just give it the owner if you only give an address only as it is not exact (land versus property). So the trick wouldn't work for an apartment in a development but should for a house. Cool!

Any thoughts on how to find out how much a place was last sold for (without ringing the estate agent etc.). They must be some sort of public tax records or something.

Larry

LarryHagman said:
So the trick wouldn't work for an apartment in a development
Are you/they sure? I would have expected all individual dwellings with their own address (including units in an apartment development) to appear on the Land Registry/Registry of Deeds records.

Any thoughts on how to find out how much a place was last sold for (without ringing the estate agent etc.).
Ask the owner?
They must be some sort of public tax records or something.
I don't think that (tax compliant) individuals' tax records are available for perusal by the public. I certainly hope that they are not!

Maybe you're correct about apartments. I will update this thread when I find out. I have to call into their office so will ask them.

Quote:
Any thoughts on how to find out how much a place was last sold for (without ringing the estate agent etc.).
Ask the owner?

Yeah.. just wondering if the information was out there on the public domain.

LarryHagman said:
Yeah.. just wondering if the information was out there on the public domain.
Maybe the Revenue stamp duty office (in Dublin Castle I think) can provide that information? I presume that the Land Registry/Registry of Deeds does not provide this info? They should presumably have information on any mortgages secured on properties from which you could make an educated guess as to the purchase price?

How is the Thoms directory legal? What if I don't want my details in there or if they are incorrect? Does one have any recourse?

AFAIK, in the land registry, you can identify the owner of a folio, (ie a plot of land) if it is registered in the land registery. I don't think you can identify the owner of a particular plot in the registry of deeds as there are no maps attached. The maps are with the actual deeds.

[broken link removed] used to give a good indictaion of property prices in an area, however they seem to have recently restricted access to the profession only!

Back