Key Post How to cut 10% off your Health premium with a phone call:- Equivalent Corporate Plans

Quinn will let you switch mid year. At this stage, they probably won't back date the change, but if you've paid upfront you will get a pro rata refund, if there's one due.
They back dated mine to my renewal date Sept 1st ,which I wasnt expecting to be honest.

Also, family member got 150 rebate even tho he renewed 6 months ago. He is hoping for 300 off next year on renewal.

tip #1:

When you ask for the equivalent corporate rates check the rate for children: - for some reason these are often a little more expensive for the first two children than the standard rate. If this is the case the then get the corporate rate for the adults and leave the children on the standard scheme rate.

tip #2:
Ask the operator explicitly to list any differences associated with the equivalent corporate scheme. For instance I discovered that maternity cover was €4k in the standard scheme but only €3.5k in the ECS.

Last year I switched from VHI to Quinns Company Health Plan with no excess at a considerable saving. I have now received my renewal from Quinn for year 2011 coming in at €718.
I decided to ring Aviva to see what they were offering on their corporate plan. Their quote for Business Plan Select with excess is coming in at €728.
The problem is trying to compare both insurance covers.

Has anyone compared both products and has anyone a recommendation as to which plan provides the better cover?

As far as I can make out all hospitals are covered in both plans but with Quinn you have to pay a daily excess of circa €250 if yoiu have to stay in Blackrock or Beacon Hospitals but with Aviva you only have to pay a once off excess of €125 regardless of your length of stay.

Also on outpatient cover. You have a yearly excess of €440 with Quinn but "nil" with Aviva. You can clain back €25 per GP visit with Aviva and no excess. But here is the catch, I was told by Aviva that this is only available in year two of the policy.

Has anyone done a comparison?

Have you tried the Health Insurance Authority's website? They have a plan comparison tool that lets you compare plans side by side.

http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison

EDIT: With regard to the out-patient cover with Aviva, are you between 55 and 65 years old? Aviva apply a 1 year waiting period for the day to day benefit to new customers who are between those ages.

And here's a comparison of the Company Health Plus and Business Plan Select - [broken link removed]

Thanks Nova. I did the comparison earlier today and there is little in it. I am also between 55 and 65 so I cannot claim the outpatient benefit until year two with Aviva. What I cannot find out is what is the yearly excess on year 1 for those aged between 55 and 65 with Aviva is. With VHI I think it is about €250, with Quinn it is €220, but what is Aviva's?

On that product, Aviva split the out-patient cover into two categories: day to day, which has a refundable €1 excess but is subject to the waiting period above; and out-patient which has excesses but no waiting periods. Some types of treatments/visits are covered by both categories, but in different ways.

The out-patient benefit has a €150 excess for an individual and you can claim the following visits: consultants, nursing at home, emergency dental care, post-cancer treatment conselling, manual lymph drainage, radiology, pathology and certain appliances.

Seems unfair that those between 55 and 65 are being discriminated against. If two people join the scheme at the same time and one is 52 years of age and the other 55 years of age. The younger can start claiming for his GP's visits immediately but the other has to wait until year two.
Is this not going against Community Rating rules?

Community rating only applies to the price of the product, but other aspects of health insurance legislation do allow waiting periods to be applied depending on a person's age. Equality legislation also allows for it once it can be backed up on a statistical or acturial basis.

Quinn have a range of company schemes that include hospital cover and a 50% refund on out-patient costs, and I think waiting periods don't apply to the out-patient cover. The brochure for these schemes is on their website here - http://www.quinn-healthcare.com/pdf/ccbroch.pdf. Double check if waiting periods apply though as my information is a couple of years old.

yes I rang them, as my renewal date is up on the 1/11/10. got a reduction of €138.00 :)

Thank you... have also checked out the web site that slim recommended; just too see if I can get a better deal...it can't hurt to keep my options open at the moment.
Zil

Community rating only applies to the price of the product, but other aspects of health insurance legislation do allow waiting periods to be applied depending on a person's age. Equality legislation also allows for it once it can be backed up on a statistical or acturial basis.

Community rating
"Community rating" means that the insurance company must charge the same rate for a given level of service, regardless of age, sex or health status. So all adults pay the same amount for the same benefits. Unlike motor insurance or life insurance, matters such as age, sex, sexual orientation, health or past record of claims do not affect the price charged for insurance.

This is confusing. If you are aged 55 or over you are paying the same rate for Outpatients with Quinn but you are not getting the same benefits as a person under 55 years of age.

We're going to have to downgrade cover this year. Currently on Quinn Healthcare Starter, and I'm looking at Quinn's Essential Starter as an alternative. I'm losing cover for some of the private hospitals, and losing much of the cover for outpatients expenses.

But there doesn't seem to be any corporate equivalent of the 'Essential Starter' product. THe lowest price 'Company xxxx' plan that I can find for Quinn is Company Health, which is €454 vs €380.

Does anyone know of any corporate equivalent of Quinn's Essential Starter?

Looking at the list of plans on the HIA's website, €380 is the lowest price you'll find, so I don't think there is a corporate equivalent.

Back