How to calculate the number of blocks for a new build

TheRyano

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if anyone can help me calculate the number of new blocks in a new build.

I want to see if there is a scientific method for excluding window openings, door openings and for calculating gables... to get to the correct number of blocks required.

Also... does anyone have any insight to the cost of labour to lay these blocks. i.e. a cost per block?

So far I have had 2 quotes from block layers... 1 quoted 9.5K the other 16.5k .. so there is a major difference there...

Thanks in advance..

A QS will usually just measure through the openings. That means they count the same number of blocks for a blank wall as a wall with a window. They then price at €x labour and €y materials per block. This is because the reduction in the number of blocks and additional labour required for a window approximately cancel each other out.

To price the job yourself, calculate the number of blocks and ask a builders merchant the cost of the blocks. Maybe someone can tell you the current labour cost of laying a block. You will need to add about 10% for overheads and 5% profit. While that will not be 100% accurate, it will bring you a lot closer than the difference between €9.5k and €16.5k.

Maybe just go with the €9.5k, after all no matter what you calculate, you can still only get it at the price someone is willing to offer. Unless you do the work yourself.

Calculating the no of blocks is one of the easiest tasks, same with price, which will usually include putting in lentils over windows and doors. There may be some doors that require an RSJ instead of a lentil. Give your house plan to a blocklayer and he'll know how to calculate exactly what's needed. If you're using multiple tradesmen to build do remember there are an awful lot of new rules and regulations to adhere to. As for going to a builders merchant to find out the price of blocks? This is a bit silly, just go straight to Roadstone or whatever quarry is in your area and ask them. Your blocklayer will give you good advice on this as some don't like particular blocks, same applies to sand which you'll also need. Are you not using an engineer?

Back