How to buy S&P 500 ETF

davidpatrick

Hi,

I've never bought shares before so looking for some beginner advice, please?

Can someone recommend an online broker that I can buy S&P 500 ETF's please? Initialy it would be a single transaction but may also try dollar cost averaging depending on fees.

Also how are ETF usually held?

Sorry if very basic Q’s but have looked though many posts and cant really see what I’m after

Cheers

Last edited:
hi..have a look here

I use sharewatch.com and have bought some etf's from ishares through them.
There is a sp500 etf with ishares. My shares are all held in crest which i feel is a lot safer than a nominee account. Also your name is on the share register therefore you will receive all ishares or company information.

As youd imagine the sp500 ishare is denominated in dollars i think.

You can buy the ticker symbol SPY (Which is the symbol for the ETF tracking the S&P 500) trading on the NYSE. It has charges of only 0.1% as opposed to Quinn Lifes 1%+ per year.

You'd have Broker's commissions too but these can be very low and are not charged annually on the entire value of your investment. They can be less than $10 per trade.

[broken link removed]

You can buy the ticker symbol SPY (Which is the symbol for the ETF tracking the S&P 500) trading on the NYSE. It has charges of only 0.1% as opposed to Quinn Lifes 1%+ per year.

[broken link removed]

Yes, good option. You could also open an account with first-trade. I find them excellent.

david..you have an excellent strategy. Get the etf with the lowest fees and dca over time.

The vast majority of so called professional investors do not beat the market over time.

Back