How much to spend on engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rdoleman

Hi everyone, just a quick question, whats the average people spend on engagement rings. I'm on an average salary, nothing special, and they vary so much. Any advice?

Re: engagement ring

I think the whole things a lark myself.Still I suppose its traditional and all.....
Spend what you can afford and feel comfortable with.To some people this may be 100, a couple of hundred or a couple of thousand if you are rich and mad.
Whatever you do, DONT get in debt to buy an engagement ring!
If your girlfriend isnt happy with that then you are probably best not proposing to her anyway as she only seems to be interested in your dosh!

Tradition

Traditionally one spends 1 Month Salary on the ring. This can be difficult though...goodluck!

Re: rings

I agree with NotALottaLolly. Anyway, the following links might also be of interest:

-

-

As with couples who do not have their own home and spend a fortune on a big wedding it is absolute madness to spend a lot of money on an engagement ring if you don't have much money. Leaving aside all the sentimentality engagement rings like anything else can go out of fashion and quite a lot of girls stop wearing them for one reason or another.

There's always the 'cubic zirconia' option and they are available in all jewellers and Argos. Most people would have to be told that the stone is not a real diamond unless they are very familiar with jewellery. Just try looking closely at samples and realise then how much you would save.

As there is a high mark-up on jewellery if you do decide to buy from a jewellers you should haggle - no harm in trying.

Another problem with having a real diamond ring is that if you leave it in for repair/cleaning you have to be careful as to where you leave it in. Stories abound about stones being changed etc.

Also if you do buy a real diamond make sure to get your insurance asap.

Good luck with your purchase and best wishes for a long and happy relationship - by the way where/when is the engagement party? :)

I know that if you follow the other discussions about
it, you might come across it anyway. But just to make
sure, please read [broken link removed] before spending money
on diamonds.

[broken link removed] did an interesting survey recently on what people are paying for enagagement rings.

Can someone please put a logical meaning on the sentence below from the article linked above - "the quality of the diamonds, measured in dollar value, had declined by nearly 100 percent."

Are they trying to say that all the diamonds were essentially sold at near-zero prices ? If anything declines by nearly 100% then it approaches zero, last time I checked.

Original quote in context -
In their subsequent investigation of the American diamond market, the staff of N. W. Ayer found that since the end of World War I, in 1919, the total amount of diamonds sold in America, measured in carats, had declined by 50 percent; at the same time, the quality of the diamonds, measured in dollar value, had declined by nearly 100 percent.

buy now and later?

my husband bought me a very cheap engagement ring when he was broke but later on in life, when finances improved, he got me something nicer.

Just an idea!
Bubbles

I wasn't embarrassed using it, we still laugh about it.

Appleby Jewellers used to offer 25% discount to bankers. They gave them a card that you could hand in.
If you know a banker......

engagement rings

Just to share a recent conversation I had with some clients that had to be entertained , a rather pretentious snobby lot

One couple were in the process of buying a ring and the one month salary topic came up

The other couple who were extremely obnoxious turned round to her partner and exclaimed Darling !! you didn't spend €15,000 on my ring did you ( she was quick I'll have to admit )

So the moral is if you buy cheap don't tell anyone !!

Good luck

ps on a serious note OReilly Auctions you could pick up a bargain .or a good secondhand shop , some lovely antigue jewellery out there

Re: engagement rings

are greer and murphy still in business.
they sold hand made engagement rings during the 70's for a lot less than the better known jewellers around dublin and when i got ours valued for insurance purposes a few years later i was staggered at the valuation.

when i got ours valued

When did an engagement ring become ours? It's hers pure and simple.

:)

Re: Engagement Ring

to mis quote Queen Victoria it is a royal 'ours'

Going abroad to buy engagement rings

Is it worth your while going abroad to buy an engagement ring?
A friend of mine bought an engagement ring in Dubai for what he believes to be a third of the price you would pay at home. The only problem is that you would have to spend at least €3k on the ring and it would cost you that again to get the two of you out there.
I heard of another guy who is going to Antwerp to buy the ring and another fella who knows of a priest in Limerick who sells cheap engagement rings.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

JC,

Seems an awful lot of trouble and expense for an engagement ring.

Have a look at this thread and the possibility of getting 15% off [broken link removed]

Don't forget also in the 3 options you mention who's going to confirm that its a real diamond and not a cubic zirconia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back