How much should it cost to insulate an attic?

well said, I did part of this job last weekend, materials purchased from building providers and b&q, moywool uncut vs b&q cutted in two places that first one allow you to cut to own requirements, that second possibly can lead to thermal bridging, got wire to support wool between the rafters, now as attic allow for a small room and a bathroom going to insulate a walls ( flooring supported by brand new timbers already done included 6cm space above older beams that i trust allow to ventilate 200mm wool surely insulated pipes (i.e. hydraulics under the floor before floor being laid ) took pictures before and during - still plenty of work to do but great fun and my wife is delighted saving what being told beforehand

I am looking to get an attic insulated for an elderly relative having being approved by SEI for the grant. The house is a 3 bed detached bungalow and I want to bring the existing 100m attic insulation up to 300m. I would prefer to provide the materials myself and just pay for labour but am looking for some guideance as to what to expect?

Roger
Here are Things to find out when thinking of retrofitting attic insulation
For this you have to check;
  • How much insulation thickness is currently available
  • Type of insulation material and the ‘R’ value of it
  • Locations (patches) having inadequate insulation
  • Whether existing air sealing is adequate.
You do not need special equipment or techniques to carry out the above check ups. Good visual inspection along with simple thickness determination is all that will be necessary initially.

It sound like it would be cheaper and less hassle to buy insulation from B&Q and do it myself then go through the bother of getting a grant and a contractor!

Can somebody post some recommended company names and their areas of coverage on here. I am in North Kildare and interested in getting this done.

Thanks!

Can somebody post some recommended company names and their areas of coverage on here. I am in North Kildare and interested in getting this done.

Thanks!

Please look for recommendations in the correct forum, any posted here will be removed.

the usual specification for works when upgrading attic insulation is:

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Installation of quilted insulation over any existing layer to approach a thickness of 300mm (or achieve a 0.16 u value)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Electrical services exposed over the new installed insulation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Raised platform walkway created with 150 x 44 joists and WBP plywood from attic access to water tanks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Cold water tank insulation jacket to installed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Header tank insulation jacket to be installed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Attic pipe work to be insulated in full.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Attic hatch insulation to be installed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. Attic hatch to be draught proofed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. Recessed downlights are to be protected.
[/FONT]

When all these works are included, you can easily see how quotations can differ. If all these works are not carried out, and SEI inspect the work, the grant may be stopped and the contractor be subject to action.

Every engagement with a contractor under the HES grant scheme should be done in accordance with the contractors Code of Practice and standards and specification guidelines.

Make sure the new insulation doesn't block the eaves ventilation, and take it over and around the water tank(s), but not under them, and make sure all the pipes are lagged while you're at it.

ONQ.

Back