How many seats will Labour get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I find the TV coverage frustrating. During the coverage of the UK election, they kept updating their forecasts for the number of seats for each party.

I have only seen one such forecast on RTE at about 6 pm yesterday. I know it's easier in the UK, but one would think that they could give some guy an Excel spreadsheet and keep updating it as the reports come in from each constituency.

So far, Labour has 4 TDs elected

Joan Burton
Brendan Howlin
Jan O'Sullivan
Sean Sherlock

Who else is in the running?

Alan Kelly looks fairly OK at this stage.
Bredan Ryan looks good.
Aodhán O'Riordán - is still in and probably 50/50 -Dublin North

Still counting but not likely
Ged Nash is still in but not looking good.
Willie Penrose
Arthur Spring

So they will get either 6 or 7.
They might not even have speaking rights in the next Dáil.

I think the pundits are calling it 6/7 seats for the Labour party.
Its never a good sign when a party has only 3 times more seats in the Dail than Healy-Raes!

At least they are better than Renua!

Update
So far, Labour has 6 TDs elected

Joan Burton
Brendan Howlin
Jan O'Sullivan
Sean Sherlock
Alan Kelly
Bredan Ryan

Who else is in the running?

Aodhán O'Riordán - is still in and probably 50/50 -Dublin Bay North
Ged Nash is still in also 50/50 Louth -Now gone
Willie Penrose - Longford Westmeath -Back in with a chance

Still counting but not likely

Arthur Spring - Kerry -Now gone
Kathleen Lynch - I had assumed she had lost her seat. She hasn't but she probably will. Cork North Central Now gone

Last edited:
They should get one of the three remaining seats where they are in the running. They could get all three with a bit of luck.

Brendan

Boss I agree whole heartedly. Even tonight's RTE 9.0c news wouldn't give a prediction. Plenty of stats on the story so far but what really matters is the final outcome.

Plenty of stats on the story so far but what really matters is the final outcome.

How many seats so far? So what?
The share of the vote? Important enough.
How much it has risen or fallen since the last election? Not very important.

But the key thing - What the likely outcome is - no mention of it in any of the coverage I saw.

Brendan

Willie Penrose is back in with a chance.

upload_2016-2-29_7-56-14.png

FF's transfers are more likely to go to FG, so they may well put James Bannon ahead of Willie Penrose on the next count. If they don't, then James Bannon's transfers should be enough to see Willie Penrose elected.

upload_2016-2-29_8-0-14.png

Brendan

4 days later and we still don't know how many seats Labour will get.

They have 6 and their only chance of speaking rights is if Willie Penrose gets elected.

Brendan

According to this morning's news , James Bannon of FG is calling for a recount as there are only 2 votes separating him from Willie Penrose

Because of his work in reducing the term of bankruptcy to 1 year I'm happy for Willie, though I've never voted for Labour. Those 6 votes that got him over the line are probably worth €100k each to him over the next 5 years so every vote does count !!

Because of his work in reducing the term of bankruptcy to 1 year I'm happy for Willie, though I've never voted for Labour.

That sums up my position fairly well.

But it's also critical that Labour has speaking rights in the next Dáil.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back