How has the recession affected you?

We are in a recession relative to the way we have lived for the last while. Yes, some people were reckless, some people weren't but this is a recession nonetheless, past difficulties doesn't make it any less so for the people living in it now.

We are in a recession relative to the way we have lived for the last while. Yes, some people were reckless, some people weren't but this is a recession nonetheless, past difficulties doesn't make it any less so for the people living in it now.

:confused:

Just looked at my wife's payslips over the past few years and took a mid year date in each. She works in the Public Service in junior management. Her take home pay now is less than she had in 2006 and a 0.75c per week more than in 2005. There have been no changes in deductions (just to keep matters straight) . . .

Was she not subject to the Pension Levy ?
Not to mention the income levy ?

Yes, and since 2006 a lot of public servants have bought houses on mortgages based on their existing salary and pay scale at the time..Those salaries were set in stone at the time, as public service salaries usually were. So people who took on a mortgage on the basis of a secure salary and a guaranteed pay scale, and who assumed they were making an informed decision, are really struggling now.

I hear what you are saying ,however,
who got those public servants to believe this?

Who got them to a place where they had salaries "set in stone"

Who got them to a position where they had a guaranteed pay scale and a secure salary?

This should never have happened..those who led them into this position and those who allowed it to happen,are at fault.
That would be the unions and the government...

Gianni, yes my figures reflect both levies.

Others, Yes I know we are in a recession and I am aware that many people are up to their necks in debt. But, give me the life nowadays a,d not the miseries of the 50s 60s 70s 80s and some of the 90s.

The government is taking us for granted also, seems like only a matter of time before the IMF come. Just heard the news today and some 'renegade' FG politicians will vote with the government whether or which to pass the budget.

I wonder if our Taoiseach knows what he is doing!

I hear what you are saying ,however,
who got those public servants to believe this?

Who got them to a place where they had salaries "set in stone"

Who got them to a position where they had a guaranteed pay scale and a secure salary?

This should never have happened..those who led them into this position and those who allowed it to happen,are at fault.
That would be the unions and the government...

Civil Servants and Public Servants never suffered a paycut, pay freezes and odd levy yes but net pay never went down. People never thought it would happen just like what a lot of people thought about house prices, ie they would never go down.

That said the rates of pay were more realistic prior to benchmarking/social partnership. You never hear the term 'lowly paid civil servant' or 'it could happen to a bishop' anymore.

Looking like we wont have to worry about who will make things like increments /privilege days/time off for cashing cheques etc etc happen....

Its looking like it will be done on our behalf.

Back