How do I minimise currency costs when buying shares?

nowhere123

The US company I work for is about to be sold. The shares i hold will be converted to cash with a US based online brokerage firm. I want to transfer the cash (approx 15k USD) to Ireland and then use the cash to buy shares in 1 company listed on Frankfurt stock exchange.

Any suggestions on the best approach which would minimise currency exchange costs, share purchase fees and annual fees?
I'm not a regular investor so don't expect to be carrying out multiple trades each year.
Thanks.

For transferring cash use one of the currency transfer websites (Transfermate, Transferwise, Currencyfair, etc). You'll need to set up an account and they do charge but for $15k you could save hundreds over what a bank transfer will cost.

For transferring cash use one of the currency transfer websites (Transfermate, Transferwise, Currencyfair, etc). You'll need to set up an account and they do charge but for $15k you could save hundreds over what a bank transfer will cost.
So you're suggesting i use say transfermate to move the cash from US to Ireland and then transfer the cash to an online brokerage?

Thanks for the reply.

Back