How can I get my Supplementary pension without having to pretend I'm looking for a job

To claim the Benefit Payment for 65 year olds (between 65 and 66) you need to have retired and not be working.

To claim the Benefit Payment for 65 year olds (between 65 and 66) you need to have retired and not be working.

This might cover it actually.

Subsidiary employment​

You can continue in subsidiary employment. Subsidiary employment is work that could have been done while you were in full-time employment and outside your normal working hours. For example, if you worked a full-time job during the day and had a part-time job in the evening. The part-time job is known as subsidiary employment, if you were able to do the part-time work without it affecting your full-time job for at least 6 months.

Subsidiary employment​

A person may continue to work in subsidiary employment while in receipt of Benefit Payment for 65 Year Olds. A day is not normally treated as a day of unemployment if a person is engaged in any occupation from which they derive any remuneration or profit unless the following conditions are satisfied:
  • the occupation could ordinarily have been followed by them in addition to their usual employment, and
  • the occupation could ordinarily have been followed by them outside the ordinary working hours of their usual employment, and
  • either the remuneration or profit from the occupation does not exceed €7,500 on an annual basis or €144 on a weekly basis.
Employees must also have at least 117 employment contributions at Class A and H paid in respect of them in either the last 3 years or the last 3 complete contribution years immediately prior to the date of claim (this does not apply to a person who has only paid self-employment contributions) .
In general, it would be deemed appropriate to consider an occupation/employment as subsidiary where the above conditions are satisfied and where both employments were carried out concurrently for a period of approximately 6 months immediately prior to the date of claim. In such circumstances it is possible for a person to be engaged in insurable employment or self-employment and still satisfy the unemployment condition.

Such an Irish system - not be working, unless it's only a little bit.

Your pension entitlement is to have the same as pre 95 income in total , its set out in the handbook that your pension entitlements are worked out from . If in any doubt see the cspensions.gov.ie site and input your details into the calculators there .
Of interest and to set minds at ease see the below extract

11.10 Supplementary Pension: In calculating pension at paragraph 11.7 above, it is assumed (a) that the officer concerned is always entitled to social insurance benefits and (b) that he/she is eligible for the maximum personal rate of such benefits. However, depending on a particular individual's PRSI contribution record, it may transpire that - through no fault of the officer concerned - he/she either has no entitlement to the specified social insurance benefits, or even if so entitled, is eligible for less than the maximum personal rate of the Contributory State Pension payable to a single person without dependants. In such cases, the officer may be paid a supplementary pension, to take account of the difference between their personal circumstances and the general assumptions on which standard pension calculations are based.
Specifically, such a pension is payable to a retired officer in receipt of a civil service pension who is unemployed and, due to causes outside his/her control (a) fails to qualify for any social insurance benefit or pension (i.e. Disability Benefit, Unemployment Benefit, Invalidity Pension or State Pension); or (b) qualifies for one or other of the benefits referred to at (a) above, but at less than the maximum personal rate of the Contributory State Pension payable to a single person without dependants.
In such cases, the supplementary pension payable comprises the difference (if any) between (a) the amount of the actual pension awarded to the officer plus the amount (if any) of the personal rate of social insurance benefit or pension payable to him/her; and (b) the amount of the pension which would have been awarded to the officer if that pension had been calculated by reference to the calculation method for pre-6 April 1995 officers set out at paragraph 11.8.

Where does self employment fit in here for example?

If you get the Supplementary pension and then decide to become part time self employed does that affect my supplementary pension?

There does seem to be exceptions, I've heard that..

1) Small farmers is OK,
2) landlord
3) Silent partner in a business
4) return to work temporarily for your employer

Are exceptions...

There may be others, my feeling is that your employer has flexibility around this issue, where is it clear that if you need to boost your income they may allow you to work...

Last edited:
I also heard a case where HSE staff who worked in the border counties but lived in Northern Ireland, they could not receive their JSB as they did not live here even though they paid all their taxes to Ireland.

So as they could not get the JSB they could not get the Supplementary pension either.

I heard that they took legal action and were eventually given the full Supplementary pension.

It's really is unbelievable in this day and age such a crappy system exists for treating public servants, after covid etc.

There will soon be thousands of nurses, garda, clinicans, public servants etc who feel they need to retire early not because of their pensions, but just due to exhaustion. This will put pressure on union and politicians.

You'll soon hear the government apologists stating 'you knew the deal' and so on. This was definitely kept well under wraps!

Last edited:
I also heard a case where HSE staff who worked in the border counties but lived in Northern Ireland, they could not receive their JSB as they did not live here even though they paid all their taxes to Ireland. So as they could not get the JSB they could not get the Supplementary pension either.
That seems strange. I had understood that the habitual residence rule applies to Jobseekers Allowance but not to Jobseekers Benefit. Also, even if they were denied the JB due to their habitual residence being in NI it would be in "circumstances beyond their control" and they should therefore be eligible for the Supplementary Pension. If they are not eligible for an Irish contributory Social Welfare Benefit they would seem to satisfy that criterion for the Supplementary Pension. The other criterion they need to satisfy is not being in insurable employment.

Yes you are correct, but these rules are now just being applied and each public service organisation are only getting to grips with it and are unsure themselves how to interpret, with so many clauses and exemptions etc.

Back