How are pension benefits/contributions calculated in public service job UCD?

kcat

Hi,

I am considering taking up a position in UCD and i was wondering how are the pensions calculated? I often hear people in private industry saying they pay 4% etc. of their salary and their employer matches it. What happens with ucd, which i assume is a government pension?

thanks,

From the public sector superannuation sticky at the top of the forum.
Public Sector Superannuation Links and Useful references

2.13 Third Level Education
2.13.1 The academic, administrative, and technical staffs of third-level colleges are covered by a number of different schemes operated by the college or institution in which they are employed.

In general, the more recently established institutions (e.g. Limerick and Dublin City Universities) have pension scheme terms similar to those applying in the civil service.

However, in a number of the older institutions (e.g. Trinity, the NUI universities), some pension terms are quite different. These schemes are, in general, non-contributory and are funded by the Exchequer. The majority of staff contribute 1½% of pay for membership of the spouses' and children's contributory pension scheme. For new entrants taking up service on or after 6 April 1995, there is a 5% contribution for the main superannuation scheme (with consequent uprating of salaries by 1/19th).

Staff of the Regional Technical Colleges come within the Local Government Superannuation Scheme (see section 2.15 below).

Back