House-sitter in our mother's house & HSE Fair Deal?

Yes @PaddyW, we had a couple in mind at the outset. They have been in the house since last summer, and all is working out fine. It's a huge relief actually: the house is occupied, the garden is cared for, and a nice couple in need have a home.

Do ESB bill/Gas etc. need to changed over also to prevent any large bills being run up or would this cause problems with the HSE arrangement?

Yes, we transferred all bills to the house sitters, but I suppose that would depend on your situation. I don't see it causing any problems with the HSE.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but we find ourselves in the same situation about getting some to house sit my mothers house. Did you use any form of contract for your housesitters? We are cautious about the process and want to make sure we are well protected.

Thanks!

Are your house sitters paying the Local Property Tax as well ? Once someone is living in the property it does not exempt the place from LPT.

We are thinking of getting some one in to house-sit our mother's house, which is empty for 6 months, as she is ill in hospital waiting a place in a nursing home. She has just been approved for the HSE Fair Deal.

We are happy to give someone the house rent-free, in exchange for them paying utility bills, and perhaps some light maintenance.

Is this an Ok way to do this arrangement? Is it better, for them/for us, if there is a nominal rent paid? That said, we don't want to incur extra costs of eg accounts for a formal rental agreement, and anyway, HSE will take 80% of any rent. I guess I'm mostly worried about rights and responsibilities and issues such as insurance.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Hi Silica,
I know this is a really old thread, I am wondering if you might be able to help me, I am in a similar situation now and am wondering how you have managed the house sitter situation over the years?

Thanks

Hi Silica,
I know this is a really old thread, I am wondering if you might be able to help me, I am in a similar situation now and am wondering how you have managed the house sitter situation over the years?

Thanks
We have similar but with a grandchild of the nursing home resident, two at different times. In the first case, the girlfriend of the grandchild 'rented' the house, the grandchild moved in also, at a nominal rent which was almost entirely offset by improvements to the house. Second grandchild paying a nominal rent just to keep the place warm. There are no checks on this.

When the original poster asked the question, the Fair Deal rule was if the house is sold the proceeds of the sale would be assessed indefinitely, so many opted to leave their homes unoccupied or maybe got a house sitter.

Since last year, that rule has changed, the home can now be sold and the net proceeds will qualify for the 3 year cap.

If your circumstances allow it, selling might now be a good option worth considering.

If you sell your home while in care;​

If you sell your home while you are in care, the net proceeds of sale will also qualify for the 3-year cap.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/fair-deal-scheme/the-3-year-cap.html

Last edited:
Back