Home House Insurance for vacant property

leesider29

My grandmother passed away recently and now her house is vacant while the family decide what to do with it but of course in the meantime they do require insurance for it. Anyone know what type/cover of insurance you can get for a vacant property??

Seems just fire is maximum cover that can got after trying a couple of places!

Sorry for your loss. If your grandmother has existing insurance, they may change the policy to the representatives of her estate & reduce cover to maybe fire & liability. If not there are insurers that will cover unoccupied properties such as prestige or Kidd (a broker will submit to these for you).

www.powerinsurances.ie

If there was anyway you could get someone to move into the property then the insurance would not be effected by the unoccupancy rule.

anybody else any thoughts on insuring a vacant house? Owner is now permanently in a nursing home.

Contact a broker who will have a number of insurance companies that will quote a vacant property.

Contact a broker who will have a number of insurance companies that will quote a vacant property.

Thanks, I have contacted a broker today.

I have another insurance query. I am now involved in helping with an elderly relative's financial affairs, who is now only recently permanently in a nursing home. They have been renewing their home insurance for many years.

In 2010 and 2012 specifically, they spent > 6 months continously in hospital and the house was unoccupied. In the event of a claim being lodged during those years, it would have been rejected as the insurance would have been void for unoccupancy reasons. As the premiums were paid but the insurance was not valid, are there grounds for a refund?

I would not think that your elderly relatives would have grounds for a refund as they should have notified the Ins Co that they would be absent from their home. I appreciate where you are coming from but the law would favour the Ins co in this case as usual.

Thanks, I have contacted a broker today.

I have another insurance query. I am now involved in helping with an elderly relative's financial affairs, who is now only recently permanently in a nursing home. They have been renewing their home insurance for many years.

In 2010 and 2012 specifically, they spent > 6 months continously in hospital and the house was unoccupied. In the event of a claim being lodged during those years, it would have been rejected as the insurance would have been void for unoccupancy reasons. As the premiums were paid but the insurance was not valid, are there grounds for a refund?

No grounds what so ever.

A claim would not have been entertained for some claims because of unoccupancy but the policy would still have been in place for the likes of storm damage which is not effected by unoccupancy. The insurance company were carrying the risk in any event so you would have no chance getting a refund

Well, would you believe it, the house was broken into Saturday night, ie last night. Entry via a rear 3 year old PVC window, just smashed the glass. Some internal doors damaged and belongings strewn about. They got nothing at all as nothing of value there. I will find out tomorrow from the insurers what the story is.

Unfortunately I can't see them helping you on the vandalism side. With unoccupancy it's likely they would only cover fire.

We have just bought an older home currently under renovation. However the main issue seems to be that we will be away for 6 months of the year. This is not really a holiday home as it will be full of furniture and our belongings. Anybody know of insurance companies that would cover us? Most insurance companies dont want to touch us!

Similar story here. Cottage unoccupied at present until renovation starts late August. As far as I know insurance requirement during building-work will be entirely different.

I will be using the place for approximately two-month periods throughout the year. My understanding of insurance is that most policies allow for absences of up to 60 days continuously, longer if there is some caretaking (e.g. neighbour checking occasionally).

If anyone has advice on a company that covers the (very minimal!) requirements of an empty unrenovated property I would appreciate it.

Similar story here. Cottage unoccupied at present until renovation starts late August. As far as I know insurance requirement during building-work will be entirely different.

I will be using the place for approximately two-month periods throughout the year. My understanding of insurance is that most policies allow for absences of up to 60 days continuously, longer if there is some caretaking (e.g. neighbour checking occasionally).

If anyone has advice on a company that covers the (very minimal!) requirements of an empty unrenovated property I would appreciate it.

The standard period in irish household policies is 30 days

There is one that is 60 days but the company alludes me. Could be Allianz.

We have just bought an older home currently under renovation. However the main issue seems to be that we will be away for 6 months of the year. This is not really a holiday home as it will be full of furniture and our belongings. Anybody know of insurance companies that would cover us? Most insurance companies dont want to touch us!

Try Chubb Insurance. They take on types of Insurance like this.

Back