Hospital Trolleys

You left out a lot of Hospitals go check again .Are you correct in saying they Were ran by Nuns.Some may be ran by Nuns Who were Nurses.Are you telling Me that the other Faiths got Nuns to run there hospitals.Just for the record other faiths had nuns but got Nurses to run there Hospitals.

Purple,
I had understood we had less beds as a % than our neighbour ! so your comment helps me consider.
I see they too have (bed blocker) issues and it appears that if bed blocker ie proper step down facilities were in place ,the problem would be near sorted.

I still contend that Government continues to short term health needs and are blown off course by the (newest) crisis.
To blame Unions is unhelpful and to castigate management in the absence of a Government long term adaptable plan misses the target .

cremeegg The worst trolls are the people who google something Don't understand the numbers may not tell the whole story then troll like hell Quoting something the don't understand.

You left out a lot of Hospitals go check again .
I listed Hospitals in Dublin and a few others I know about. What point are you trying to make?
Are you correct in saying they Were ran by Nuns.
Yes I am.
Some may be ran by Nuns Who were Nurses.
Any Nun running a hospital ward was also a nurse. Obviously.
Are you telling Me that the other Faiths got Nuns to run there hospitals.
No.
Just for the record other faiths had nuns but got Nurses to run there Hospitals.
That's right.
The point is that the people running the hospital were interested in the care of sick people first. They had the power to control staff and get things done and they have the authority to ensure that people did their job. I know older nurses who feared the Nuns and made sure everything was in good order before the Matron was on the Ward.

Last edited:
You listed a few Hospitals and a few others you know about . I know lots of Hospitals ran by Nurses who were not Nuns who did a very good job.The point I am making is When Hospitals were Ran by Nurses they were well Ran . Until they have a say again we are in trouble. List me out the people you think who could do a better Job/Who are more interested in caring for they sick.

You listed a few Hospitals and a few others you know about . I know lots of Hospitals ran by Nurses who were not Nuns who did a very good job.The point I am making is When Hospitals were Ran by Nurses they were well Ran . Until they have a say again we are in trouble. List me out the people you think who could do a better Job/Who are more interested in caring for they sick.
You are missing the point, not for the first time. When management has the authority and ability to manage then places are well run. Now, thanks to Union demarcation and the sure and certain knowledge that nobody can lose their job for doing a bad job there is no culture of excellence within the health service. Mind you, that's a broader societal problem in Ireland in many sectors from house building to customer service in shops to public services in general.

As for nurses having a say in how things are run; they already do.

Purple Unions had very little to do with it.I do some Voluntary work,.One of the people I work with is a nurse who could have taken the HSE Early Retirement Scheme Or Voluntary Redundancy Scheme back in 2010.She along with her colleagues who started training to be nurses same year would actually earn more If they took Early Retirement.The HSE management Were very Disappointed with the take up of the Scheme.Some Nurses took up the offer and Retired .Those who retired and wanted to work again found work straight away which Speak for itself.Bed closures followed.Overtime followed Agency Nurses followed.Chaos followed.HSE paying Nurses to Retire Early so they could close Beds only to find the needed More Nurses In the Accident and Emergancy Because of the Backlog '

ANyone who believes that Unions have very little to do with the day to day operations of the HSE or indeed any other public service organisation in this country is either very naieve or heavily involved with a union themelves

I don't like your implication that I'm lying.
Based on Health Service Employment Census: Section 1 National Overview December 2016, 9.1% are classified in the Medical/Dental Staff category. The other 90.9% enjoy perks such as
  • nurses /others being paid for meal breaks,
  • unionised workers getting an hour off per week to cash non-existent pay or expenses cheques,
  • operatives getting paid gate allowances for closing non-existant gates,
  • and forklift drivers who get a forklift driving allowance for driving forklifts
  • 5 uncertified "sick-days/absences" per year.
[broken link removed]
1. Nurses and others do not get paid for meal breaks. Fact.
2. I never heard of anybody getting paid gate allowance for non existent gates
3. I don't know any fork lift drivers and having worked in 3 large hospitals in payroll, I cannot ever remember paying such an allowance. But, to the fair I am not too sure of your assertion.
4. 7 uncertified "sick days" in two rolling years are given where necessary. Not five in one year. Fact.

Does anybody know any fork lift driver working in the HSE? I wonder how many forklift drivers are there?

I can categorically vouch for items 1, 2, 4 as answered by me. Mathepac means well but his points made are not correct.

The above are the part/contents of two Mathepac's posts and one of mine. What I am concerned about are his words "I don't like your implication that I'm lying"

Here is an extract from IMPACT union's website regarding sick leave:-
. . . all civil and public servants can take up to 7 self-certified sick days in a rolling 24-month period. The current arrangement is for 7 self-certified days in a rolling 12-month period. Management’s original proposal was for 3 self-certified days in a rolling 12-month period.

This is the truth and it is something I police every week as part of my normal working week. Consequently whatever source Mathepac got is wrong information must be considered suspect.

ANyone who believes that Unions have very little to do with the day to day operations of the HSE or indeed any other public service organisation in this country is either very naieve or heavily involved with a union themelves
See @Leper 's post preceding as proof positive of unions running the public service, and that's just IMPACT. INMO, PNA, and others have much deeper penetration and influence.

Last edited:
No Mathepac. My posts were proof positive that your below-the-belt allegation of me "I don't like your implication that I'm lying."

You did not address your allegation. You now choose to ignore the issue. I cannot understand why. But, carry on . . . I'm off the subject.

Back