Healthcare costs - not insurance Hospital Charges following RTA

Suz2015

Hi, would anyone have a guide to what hospital charges to expect following Road Traffic Accident?

Road Traffic Accident (RTA) charges imposed under the Health (Amendment) Act, 1986

Patients receiving hospital care following a road traffic accident (RTA) must pay additional charges for their hospital care.

Currently, where a patient becomes subject to RTA charges in circumstances when he/she has previously paid private inpatient charges, the RTA charges levied shall be reduced by the amount of the private inpatient charges already paid in the following circumstances:
(i) private inpatient charges and RTA charges have been levied on a patient, and
(ii) the private inpatient charges and RTA charges relate to the same period of hospitalisation.

By way of illustration, if private inpatient charges in the amount of €2,000 have been paid and RTA charges in the amount of €5,000 have been levied (both in respect of the same period of hospitalisation), the amount of the RTA charges should be €3,000:
(i) €2,000 in respect of private inpatient charges paid; and
(ii) €3,000 in respect of RTA charges.

The total amount of the combined charges, therefore, is €5,000.

Where do the HSE say what the charges will be? And what if you are an innocent victim of a RTA? Car mounts footpath and knocks you down for example?

The only thing I found when I googled was this from Crumlin

What if the victim is not making a claim from car insurance? Are they still subject to the RTA hospital charges?

What if the victim is not making a claim from car insurance? Are they still subject to the RTA hospital charges?
Its not down to the injured party (please can we stop using the word 'victim').

If its a road traffic incident, the hospital bills the insurance co.

Thanks for the clarification, so it is nothing to do with the patient, the hospital claims directly from the car insurance company.

What happens when the car insurance company denies a payment, maybe you forgot to mention those pesky penalty points or something. Does the hospital come back to the patient then for payment?

Back