Home Insurance Premium Increase

My premium went up 50%. I very quickly shopped around and got the increase down to 20% with Quinn direct.

Reviving this thread. My home insurance with RSAlliance has gone up from 400 euro to 800 euro. They were not prepared to reduce by anything. I live in an area that apparently has been "blacklisted" due to subsidence claims. Tried some other companies but they would not quote so i am really over a barrel and will have to pay up. I reckon there will be many uninsured properties this year as the premium will be prohibitive if the person live in an area prone to flooding or subsidence and they have little chance of getting cover elsewhere. I hope my opinion can be proved wrong.

I reckon there will be many uninsured properties this year as the premium will be prohibitive if the person live in an area prone to flooding or subsidence and they have little chance of getting cover elsewhere.
I wonder what the banks will do about it when their mortgaged properties cease to be insured?

My home insurance is also up for renewal. I had unfortunately an attempted break in last July and my claim totalled approx 2,500. I think my insurance previously was about 280 or something like that......my renewal quote is now 658.

Have just tried getcover.ie and my renewal cost is 242 and with some specified risks (expensive watch worth approx. 4k) the total is 311. Brilliant.

Our renewal from rsa is € 473 and just checked getcover.ie and it works out at € 223.

Can you tell us who the underwriters are ?

In regard to my post no 23 Royal Sun alliance has now agreed t reduce the premium to 600 euro. I dont know why but am not complaining!

Our renewal from rsa is € 473 and just checked getcover.ie and it works out at € 223.

Can you tell us who the underwriters are ?

Lloyds of London are the underwriters.
Seems to be cheap but accidental damage has to be added on as does unspecified all risks cover. Double check your own policy for these.

last year with aviva my house insurance was €420.this year it was €405.no idea how this works since most ppl here seem to have fgot an increase in their costs without having claimed. my partner and i both have car insurance with aviva maybe this was a factor..

Wondering how you are working out your reinstatement value. I assume it would have dropped etc.

I assume it would have dropped etc.
I made this point to several brokers and they all deny it. They are still adding 5% per year for reinstatement values. This is absolutely crazy.

Just to let ya know there that fitted kitchens / wardrobes / floors - These are all deemed as part of buildings -

My home insurance is also up for renewal. I had unfortunately an attempted break in last July and my claim totalled approx 2,500. I think my insurance previously was about 280 or something like that......my renewal quote is now 658.

Have just tried getcover.ie and my renewal cost is 242 and with some specified risks (expensive watch worth approx. 4k) the total is 311. Brilliant.

Just to update this. My home insurance was up this week, so I phoned to follow up on the above quote. Before they even got as far as the specified risk, they quoted now 488, which is more than double the original quote. Explanation given was that they have raised premiums substantially over the past 3 weeks!

I just got a renewal quote from 123.ie for €529 (no recent claims) when last year it was €279. I will certainly be looking for other quotes. I dont see how they can justify the hike in premium. It seems like blatant profiteering to me.

I already have a quote for €313 from Quinn Direct.

I had two properties insured - the family home in Donegal and a rental property in Dublin that I bought ten years ago and my insurance went up from around 600 to 1154.00 - no claims made ever!!!

I just got a "contents only" renewal notice from Aviva ... and the premium has jumped from from €140 to €340. No previous claims either!

Paid my Dad's house insurance within the last couple of weeks...

I did it with 123.ie last year - cost at the time E340.

This years quote arrived at E497 (no claims in last year - or ever as far as I can recall).

I rang - no move on same - I said no bother that I'd arrange with a broker locally (bluff on my part)...

Within 10 minutes I got a call from the 'supervisor' - apologising - 'the young fella' I had been speaking with a few minutes earlier had mis-quoted me in error (!) - he reduced quote to E394. I took it...

Anyone notice any changes in whats covered in their renewal policy?

A lot of companies have increased their excess in the last year. Most who had a standard excess of €120 ish have increased it to €250. The excess for water damage has increased with a lot of companies too.

Back