Home Insurance Premium Increase

milic

I have just received my renewal notice from FBD for my home insurance premium.

It has increased from €530-00 last year to €680-00 this year. An increase of 28%. Can anyone out there beat that?

BTW. I had no claim in the past year.

I also had an increased premium total E623.I rang BOI for a quote which was a E186 less.I then rang Alz and they requoted me and brought it down to E213 less including govt levy.Im staying with Alz.Ring around and ask them whats the best they can do.

Im sure you have read everywhere that insurance costs are on the increase. Get some quotes online, ring a broker. But look at your buildings sums insured as the rebuilding cost has decreased this year and you are probably over insured after many years of insurers increasing these in line with index linking.

But look at your buildings sums insured as the rebuilding cost has decreased this year and you are probably over insured after many years of insurers increasing these in line with index linking.

Absolutely. However also look at the contents sum insured as a lot of people upped the spec of kitchens etc over the last 5 years or so without upping contents sums insured.

Absolutely. However also look at the contents sum insured as a lot of people upped the spec of kitchens etc over the last 5 years or so without upping contents sums insured.

General rule of thumb is buildings would be anything you would leave if you sold the house and moved out. So kitchen, built in wardrobes, tiles, carpets, wooden floors, fireplace......all classed as buildings.

Thanks to all. I have phoned 2 other insurers so far i.e. Prestige and bank of Ireland. Prestige were slightly cheaper and B of I a lot dearer.

I will shop around some more. I think sum for buildings is reasonable. I might be able to reduce contents cover a little though.

Correction to my last post. It was AIB and NOT B of I. that I got the dearer quote from.

I will try Bank of Ireland.

I just thought you might be interested in this. I checked out a home insurance co for an online quote,
for a 2 bed semi-d Buildings €215000, contents 25000 and I got the following, based on changing the postal code and then selecting suburb from dropdown list. For those not familiar, Kimmage is beside Terenure, & Crumlin is beside Kimmage

Kimmage Dublin 12 : €288.32
Kimmage Dublin 6w : €386.65
Terenure Dublin 6w : €386.65
Crumlin Dublin 12 : €306.17
Drimnagh Dublin 12 : €297

So people who like their fancy 6W post code are paying for it :)

I never realised quotes could change that much for neighbouring areas.

Im sure you have read everywhere that insurance costs are on the increase. Get some quotes online, ring a broker. But look at your buildings sums insured as the rebuilding cost has decreased this year and you are probably over insured after many years of insurers increasing these in line with index linking.
They are still increasing cover like this. Crazy in a recession.

We received our renewal quote this week.

Last year, our home insurance cost €347. This year, the same insurance broker has quoted us €511 using the same insurance company as last year.

In the quote, the figure for rebuilding our house has increased by €20 000! I would have thought that, if anything, the rebuild cost of a house would have decreased this year.

I haven't yet done any looking around, primarily because I haven't a clue how to value the rebuild cost myself. I know there are websites which help with this, I'm just not confident that I'd do it properly.

Anyway, I'd better get my act together and sort it very soon as the renewal date is looming. I very much doubt I'll be paying €511 though.

General rule of thumb is buildings would be anything you would leave if you sold the house and moved out. So kitchen, built in wardrobes, tiles, carpets, wooden floors, fireplace......all classed as buildings.

I agree with most of what you have written but please note that carpets are actually treated as contents and not a building item.

Watch out for FBD insurance as if you make a claim it appears you will not be allowed to pick your own builder. I would be willing to pay extra so I could chose my own builder.

Like others here I received my home insurance renewal from Zurich and it has gone up from €337 to €387 (no claim). I find this amazing. Have spent past hour on line looking for other quotes and best I got was from www.getcover.ie €240.34 for the very same cover. Is there something I should know? what a difference.

Is there something I should know? what a difference.

Have you compared and checked the Policy details. The wording of the policies often varies where one might seem to have the same cover at a cheaper price but on reading a Policy,details often vary. You might have variances in the T & Cs.

The devil is in the detail.

make sure it includes accidental damage. a lot of online insurers/brokers will quote without it and then charge extra for it.

I got a quote of €640 with 123.ie and with Get cover got quoted €456.64 for the same cover.

I went back to 123.ie and they examined my building sum insured and thought I was over insured according to the Chartered Surveyors report so they reduced the premium accordingly, but did a further check with getcover.com at the lower building sum insured and it is still cheaper with them.

I eventually ended up with a quote of €393, which as you can see is a huge difference to what I started off at this morning with €640!. Definitely worth shopping around and checking your building sum insured is accurate.

I've looked at the 2 policy documents and can't see any great difference in cover and it includes Accidental Damage, Unspec. A.R. and Spec. A.R.. Hope this helps someone else.

I changed to Getcover in January because it was the cheapest i could find, and a good bit cheaper than my cover with 123.ie. I just had a claim in for damage to a ring and the claim went through very smoothly.

Just curious to see how much my insurance increases to next year though :-(

Like others here I received my home insurance renewal from Zurich and it has gone up from €337 to €387 (no claim). I find this amazing. Have spent past hour on line looking for other quotes and best I got was from www.getcover.ie €240.34 for the very same cover. Is there something I should know? what a difference.
I received home renewal notice from AXA and its gone up a massive €200 since last year. Haven't had any claims in past 10 years. got quote online for €345 which is more than half what AXA is quoting. So its time I gave AXA the AXE.

I have just received my renewal notice from FBD for my home insurance premium.

It has increased from €530-00 last year to €680-00 this year. An increase of 28%. Can anyone out there beat that?

BTW. I had no claim in the past year.

I'm shopping around myself at the moment. My car insurance premium also went up. Insure.ie and AAIreland are quoting me dearer than 123.ie- give them a call, they told me if I renew the policy today the will drop it by 40 quid....

Also check that your contents cover hasn't increased since last year- it shouldn't have unless you speficied it.

Check your excess, check your accidental damage & check the contents cover match your other quote

Back