Home Home Insurance Cover for water damaged ceilings

A

Alanmul

Will home insurance companies pay out for ceiling damage caused by the bath/sink overflowing upstairs.

It depends on the circumstances and the exclusions on your policy. What exactly happened?

Thanks.....well I rented out a property and it looks like the tenants didn't use the shower in the upstairs bathroom properly and that they spilled water on the floor consistantly and then this water soaked down through the floorboards and damaged the ceiling badly over time. It's not just water marks, the plaster is actually cracking and falling off.

you MAY have a difficulty if the leak is ongoing over a period and you did nothing. Your tenants should have noticed it and told you.

As suggsted read policy as some insurers will cover such an eventuality as a one off leak, others exclude it entirely.

Another angle would be to sue the tenants for their negligence in allowing the bath overflow.

Thanks.....well I rented out a property and it looks like the tenants didn't use the shower in the upstairs bathroom properly and that they spilled water on the floor consistantly and then this water soaked down through the floorboards and damaged the ceiling badly over time. It's not just water marks, the plaster is actually cracking and falling off.

Whereas technically there is an escape of water ,there are a number of issues here, an ongoing process, lack of reasonable care even multiple excesses and I would be very surprised if Insurers look favourably upon this claim. The only upside is I guess there may well be grounds in this instance to withhold the tenants security deposit in lieu of the damage.

Forgive me again - but some policies give it - Even on rented property but exclude the likes of valuables etc... Hwever the leak referred to here would not come under the definitionof 'Accidental damage' as this would be intended to cover something sudden and unforseen - I would be inclined to think insurers will view this as a 'gradually operating ' peril - which is excluded - i think the best thing thoug is to get a public losss assessor to have a look for you and present claim - they usually work on No foal No fee basis

It is a standard exclusion under a domestic policy that AD does not apply in the event that the property is tenanted. I have never seen an exception to this on any Irish based policy but i do take Peteb implication that virtually anything maybe insurable, in the event that you are prepared to pay for it.

There is a clause under all insurance policies that requires the policyholder to do everything in their power to minimise the possibility if a claim or potential claim. If I was the broker for this I would be advising he policyholder to expect this not to be covered as I would expect any Insurer worth their salt to envoke this clause but I would still recommend reporting it to your Insurers as you never know your luck you might get an assessor who might just settle it without investigating but don't expect too much.

Things that occur gradually and over a period of time are excluded from most Household Policies.

The only cover would be under Accidental Damage and even if you do have that it wont engage because the event was gradual.

DECLINE

Back