Home Home insurance claim and premium

Birroc

Is home insurance similar to house insurance where I will lose my no claims bonus if I make a claim? Will other house insurers ask whether I have made claims in the past?

home insurance and house insurance are the same thing. I think you mean building ins and contents ins, they normally held with the same ins company and i dont think its advisable to have them seperate. Yes you lose no claims bonus if you make a claim on either. All ins companies will ask if you made a claim in the past.

All household insurers do not have a no claims bonus.
You need to check the policy document or contact your broker or insurer who will advise.
If someone wants to have seperate buildings and contents insurance they can still get it but it would be unusual unless in the case of a "block" policy where the management company cover the buildings and owners of their own individual unit arrange contents insurance.
You have to declare any previous claim normally within a specified period 3/5 years depending on who the insurer is.
If in doubt declare all previous claims.
It is highly likely that insurers will increase policy excesses or restrict cover in future years for burst pipe claims and in some cases this has already happened.

home insurance and house insurance are the same thing. I think you mean building ins and contents ins, they normally held with the same ins company and i dont think its advisable to have them seperate. Yes you lose no claims bonus if you make a claim on either. All ins companies will ask if you made a claim in the past.

sorry i meant to say home and car insurance (not house)

All insurers will ask if you had a previous claim, but that doesn't mean they won't quote you. Usually insurers have criteria that allow one claim in last 3/5 yrs, but the amount claimed will also be taken into account. The nature of the claims will also matter, ie water damage, theft etc. Quotes may be offered with increased excesses or specific requirements like alarms etc. If you have more than one claim the likelihood is that you will be refused a quote.

Am i getting pumped??

right, had a claim for 800 euro earlier this year, paid the 300 excess ourselves so only got 500 euro from the insurance company.

Cheapest quote we can get for our home (rebuild 290,000 ,contents 56,000 Euro) is 900 euro for the year.

We live in an average 3 bedroom semi in Dublin 5 with a Flat roof over the kitchen.

Anyone any ideas or are insurers truly the scum i believe them to be

lose your accidental damage cover if you have it. Get an alarm, get a smoke detector, take a bigger excess!

lose your accidental damage cover if you have it. Get an alarm, get a smoke detector, take a bigger excess!

Good advice and revisit sum insured for building cover at scs.ie and work out contents cover. Be very careful changing insurer if you have had a claim in the last 5 years.

Better off not telling your insurer that you have an alarm.

Most apply a condition that if the alarm is not set when the property in unoccupied theft cover does not apply.
If you do not have an alarm theft cover applies.
The discount is generally 10% and that saving is not worhtwhile when you drop down to the shop for a litre of milk and forget to put the alarm on!

@ The Dub. I live in D5 3 bed and pay only €320 ( with AA Insurance thro RSA ). I had a claim for water damage about 5 yrs ago but it was much more than yours, around 7K. Your quote sounds very expensive even with the claim. Check out a few brokers or direct arm of insurers like Axa, Zurich Allianz etc.

similar situation;had a claim for €1500,€380 of which they paid.My premium is gone from €422 to €790(€350,000 re-build,€105,000 contents) Have tried shopping around before I have an argument with them but not having great success.Maybe house/Home Insurance costs have just gone up generally.Does anybody know or can offer an opinion?

Ed054 says " Better off not telling your insurer that you have an alarm."

I see the argument.

Insurers ask on the proposal form (either a form filled out by the proposer or generated by the telephone request for a quote) if you have an alarm. If you do have one but you answer the alarm question with a "no" you are making a false representation. This can lead to a pile of future insurance problems if it ever comes to light.

You're wrong there. If you don't intend to avail of the discount you are not obliged to inform them of something that makes a property more secure.

@ Ed I know where youy are coming from. I have an alarm but don't tell my insurer. But the OP asked what would make his premium cheaper.

I do the same. Its the 5 lever lock and window locks requirements that also catch people out. Always read the small print. Cheapest plan may not mean that it will be the best plan in the event of a claim if you haven't met the insurer's requirements.

You're wrong there. If you don't intend to avail of the discount you are not obliged to inform them of something that makes a property more secure.

@ Ed I know where youy are coming from. I have an alarm but don't tell my insurer. But the OP asked what would make his premium cheaper.

I see what you say about the discount issue - fair enough.

The law on insurance proposals is fairly strict. My only concern is that insurers could use the "misrepresentation" against a person if it suited them even though it might seem absurd to do so.

Back