home heating oil: How much people tend to go through in any recently built 4bed semi?

serotoninsid

Coming into first winter in my own gaff - just wondering how much oil people tend to go through in any recently built 4 bed semi? Will one tank get me through to the spring?

Its bloody freezing here this evening so will have to bite the bullet and get the visa out!

Re: home heating oil

It depends how much time you spend at home. Assuming you are out working during the day, you're heating will only be on for a few hours each day. My experience has been that we if we fill the tank around November it will usually last until around Feb/March, but that is based on the above type usage. In the meantime if you're cold, I can only suggest that you either light the fire assuming you have one) or start lashing on the layers and do some hoovering..........you'll be warm in no time!!!!

Can't really answer if a full tank will get you through as it depends on how often you switch it on and so on - we only really use ours in the morning to warm the house and the hot water and rely on the fire at night unless it's really cold! Have you looked into whether your local oil supplier does a easi-pay scheme, we pay a fixed amount each month to spread the cost and just ring to top up when needed, our payments really haven't increased that much in the 6 years we have lived here as we tend to go in credit over the summer which offsets the winter extra top ups. We use campus oil which seem to cover most of the country.

Speaking averagely, and considering how cold it can be in April, you may well be ordering again in March.

Thanks for the info guys. Will try and hold out for another week or two and get prices in the meantime.

buying 1000litres now for a 4 bed semi should get you through to end Jan/mid Feb if you are 9-5 Mon-Fri people.

A lot of oil companies allow you to pay 1/3 upon delivery and the rest on the drip! Jones' Oil (Esso, I think) is the crowd I used in Leixlip - very reliable - ring them tonight, they come in the morning. Three Rivers (also Esso) are the tops for fast relaible service in Waterford County. I pay €80 a month by d/d and don't worry about it. Tend to use 1500-2000 litres a year for a 4 bed timber framed bungalow.

We usually buy Oct/Nov and again March/April - 1,000 litres kerosene each time, think we got good value last time with Emo online.

Im in a 3 bed semi and would normally get whatever it takes takes to fill the tank (usually around 850 L) sometime in November. Depending on the weather that will normally do me till around March - April and thats with me working from home and she who must be obeyed here all the time.

she who must be obeyed here all the time.
At last, someone who knows their place! ;)

Make sure you're home when you get the oil delivered and check that the meter on the truck is on zero to start and that you're charged for the correct reading when he's finished the tank fill.

We've noticed discrepancies in the amounts of kerosene delivered when we're here and when we're not here.

EDIT- please ignore - working fine now.

Just got tank filled. The burner (firebird heatpac 70/90 outdoor) seems to be firing up periodically but no heat on the rads or even the pipes leading to the rads/the first rad on system.. The light come on when I switch the controls to the 'on' position. The system was fully tested when the house was signed over back in April. Is it possible that if the last bit of oil in the tank was used up (there was very little left) - which someone in my house may have done over the last couple of weeks - that the supply from the tank to the burner (5m run) is airlocked??

If airlocked, why would it be firing - or is that just its attempt at firing i'm hearing?

EDIT- please ignore - working fine now.

Just got tank filled. The burner (firebird heatpac 70/90 outdoor) seems to be firing up periodically but no heat on the rads or even the pipes leading to the rads/the first rad on system.. The light come on when I switch the controls to the 'on' position. The system was fully tested when the house was signed over back in April. Is it possible that if the last bit of oil in the tank was used up (there was very little left) - which someone in my house may have done over the last couple of weeks - that the supply from the tank to the burner (5m run) is airlocked??

If airlocked, why would it be firing - or is that just its attempt at firing i'm hearing?

a few months back our heating would not come on, our burner (actually a converted solid-fuel cooker) kept tripping out. the should be a little reset-switch (possibly red in colour, i will not swear to this though, but it is red on mine). i pressed this and the heating has been fine ever since. i suspected an airlock. it has never tripped since and the heating is fine.

as for the rads not heating up or the pipes.....is the water-pump turned on?

--laoisfan

use just over 2,000 for a detached but fully insulated house. . turn off the hall radiator during the day when people are in and out and also the bedroom ones. put them back on in the evening. 2 second job. kero was €0.485 in south armagh yesterday.

Slightly off topic but just curious as to how much the fill cost.

I got 925 litres a few days ago and it worked out the equivelent of €562 per 1000 litres
56c/ltr based on a 1,000 ltr. order with a €25 Statoil voucher off the total price.

got 5 quotes for Kerosene in the west - ranged from €570 to €600 based on 1000ltrs

Dont know but it has certainly dropped globally. Add in the reduction in the budget and it should be a good time to buy.

I'm at my wits end with our heating! We have 2700 sq ft house, we have three beds, bath, sitting, kitchen-dining-sunroom, utility downstairs and upstairs we converted the attic and it has 2 bedrooms, one ensuite! Since 18th November 2006 we have put the following fills in at the following cost :-

18-11-2006 545 ltrs €300
4-01-2007 300 ltrs €200
27-01-2007 500 ltrs €275
21-3-2007 333 ltrs €200

and going by how this has worked out we will need more oil next month!!!!!

We have rads on in sitting room, hall, bathroom, dining-sunroom and in one bedroom upstairs. Heating comes on for one hour in morning, one hour in evening before we get in and approx 2 hours at night! To me this is totally ridiculous and people are telling us there is something wrong! The temp thing on the burner has been checked and is down low and we don't have a leak!

Anyone have any idea, cos its getting me so annoyed at this stage I could scream! On average we are paying €60 odd per week for heating and most of the time we are frozzled in the house anyway!!!

Back