Hit another car with minor damage - next steps?

driver101

Hi all,

I was reversing from a parking spot, it was dark, rainy, windy, the area wasn't well lit. There was a car parked at the wall across from the parking space we were in (even though there were parking spaces available), from my point of view it should have been parked in a parking space and not at the wall where it was parked. But anyway. I noticed that car at the very last moment, applied the brakes but the impact happened simultaneously. There was nobody inside the other car, the owner was outside, at the other side, thankfully. No paint damage, cracks or dents on either cars from impact, a part of the side of our car popped out very slightly, literally by less than a cm, but we were able to push it back in place with one hand immediately, no probs.

The other car seemed to have a slight front bumper dislodgment on one side, right below the "wing", that was the only damage, it wasn't dented or cracked, just slightly dislodged. There was already a little crack by his bumper, we asked if we'd caused that, he said it was already there, which it looked like it was as there appeared, very faintly, to be some glue stuff on it. His car is a few years old, about 15, our car is new. We exchanged names, phone numbers and insurance details (he took a photo of our insurance details and we did likewise), we also took a photo of the damage to his car, we told the owner that the insurance will take care of the damage but he suggested that we can try to settle without insurance involvement, he said he knows some mechanics (probably so he can try to get a quote on fixing it). It's our first car, first insurance policy, on N plates, only had it for a few months, no NCB yet.

We find it a little confusing (as we've never had to deal with anything like this before), do we still need to contact our insurer even though there may not be a claim through the insurer? But we're thinking if we do then our next insurance premium will go up on renewal - even if we haven't made a claim but have informed them of an accident.

Since NCB is at zero already, will it remain at zero next year if there is a claim, and if there is a claim can we start building the NCB up again during the next insurance period (providing there are no more claims of course)?

If we settle the repair cost ourselves (our policy excess is about €300 anyway) can the other party still try to make a claim at the later stage? And if he does get back to us with a quote, don't want to sound too cynical or anything but how do we know it's not say, well, 50% of the repair cost for the mechanic and 50% for him, if you catch our drift.

What would be the best course of action on our part in this situation? We're ready to settle it one way or another, not that we have a choice, but just trying to figure out the safest option. Thanks a mil.

Since NCB is at zero already, will it remain at zero next year if there is a claim, and if there is a claim can we start building the NCB up again during the next insurance period (providing there are no more claims of course)?
NCB is just a discount. The problem is the initial premium itself will be higher after a claim.

If it was me, if the other party was willing to get the repair done and the quote wasn't ridiculous, I'd pay it and settle. And if he asks for anything less than 500 euro, I wouldn't ask whether he gets the car repaired, or uses it to buy a round of drinks.

The risk you have is if you don't inform your insurer, and then he makes a claim in a few weeks time, it can be difficult with your insurer. It's less risky than if there was a chance of personal injury claims.

I've been on both sides of this scenario once and didn't use insurance.

Sorry to hear about this mishap. Insurance companies require you to notify them of accidents even if you are going to settle the claim yourself. If you are found to have breached the terms and conditions, it may render your insurance null and void for any future claims on the policy. You would be well advised to read the small print of your policy and see what it says in relation to reporting.

Insurance companies require you to notify them of accidents even if you are going to settle the claim yourself.

In practice, does this mean anything?

So if the OP causes €100 worth of damage to the other car and gives him €100, should he report this and lose his no-claims bonus?

Is it a "no-claims" bonus or a "no-accidents" bonus?

I have a vague memory of someone who put a claim through their insurance company and then refunded the insurance company to protect their NCB. Is this an option?

Brendan

It depends on the extent of the amount he’s seeking to repair his car. While you say that the bumper has been only slightly dislodged, it may not necessarily follow that the damage is easily corrected.

That said, given that his previous damage hadn’t been corrected properly, it doesn’t sound like he’s that interested in keeping the car in pristine condition. If he had been responsible for the most recent damage himself, he may decide it’s not worth the expense of having it restored to its previous condition. It would be a very generous person however who would come to the same conclusion where someone else has caused the damage.

The bottom line is that you’re over a barrel on this one. He just has to present you with a quote for repairs. If the quote is reasonable, I’d agree that the best approach is to pay up and put the experience behind you. You have no control over whether the quote is a true reflection of the actual cost, whether the mechanic’s on the take, whether he chooses to spend the money on a new tv, etc etc.

As for informing your insurance company, I’ve been involved in a couple of fender benders over the years and it didn’t occur to me to inform the insurance company. It seems like a very minor incident so if you’re confident there would be no further claim. I personally wouldn’t bother.

It seems like a very minor incident so if you’re confident there would be no further claim. I personally wouldn’t bother.
That's taking on a big risk though. The other party could come back with a significant claim, some repair shops are very cautious around bumper repair due to the important role they play in crash impact mitigation.

Even if the figure isn't massive, if the other party decides for any reason that the OP isn't paying up quickly enough or even if the OP does pay up, they are still free to make a claim through the OP's insurance at any time. If the OP has not informed their insurance at the first opportunity as required under the contract, the insurance company could refuse to cover that claim, but more importantly could refuse to renew cover which would then need to be declared to future insurers making it very difficult and expensive to get cover.

Chances of things going quite so pear shaped might be slim, but it does happen. If settling privately, might be advisable to get in writing that any payment is in full and final settlement.

In practice, does this mean anything?
According to this both the policy contract and the Road Traffic Act 1961 seem to require all incidents/accidents that may lead to a claim to be notified to the insurance company:

It is my experience that people rarely report these minor tips and only involve insurance if the quote for repair is significantly high. I know when I backed into my neighbours car it was €100 and I just gave it to her and she never claimed and I never reported it to my insurance.

Similarly when a hit and run driver badly damaged the side of our car that was parked overnight on a well lit public road, I did not report the accident to my insurance company, just paid the €1200 for a new wing mirror, panel beating and a spray paint. I never figured out who did the damage unfortunately - still annoyed about that one.

Back