Irish Life Health Hibernian Aviva v VHI ?

butterfield

Family membership with VHI - presently ;
2 x adults parents on Plan B Option @ €900

2 x students (23 and 20) on Plan B Excess 20 year old getting student rate till 21. €752 and €272.
= €2824 per annum

Was going to change to Hibernian as follows

2 x adults Hospital Plan Level 2 - €710
1 x student " " " - €215 they offer this until 23
1 x student (adult) - Level I hospital - €455
= €2090 per annum

Rang VHI yesterday to cancel the policy but they put some doubt in my mind - anyone know if Hospital Plan 2 is similar to Plan B Options which I have now.

I do know that Level 1 Hospital cover is less than the previous plan but am happy to go with this.

My main concerns are that is that I have access to Mater, Blackrock etc. if ever need heart surgery - which is covered with Hibernian.

The guy is VHI went on about other things VHI offer like GP refunds, dental refunds etc.

Not so good at looking at small print on this anyone know if I am missing something ?? Any help appreciated.

You'll get the most current Health Insurance Authority comparison's [broken link removed] The Health Insurance Authority is an independant body to monitor the health insurance market.

From looking at Hibernian's brochure (here), you are covered for day-case and heart surgeries in the Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic (aka hi-tech hospitals). You don't have cover for GP visits, but in fairness, the out-patient excess on Plan B Options is only met by a small percentage of their customers, so VHI can't really claim the high ground on that point.

One thing that VHI might have over Hibernian is the number of consultants that are fully covered. I say might because I don't know how many either of them cover these days. Ask both insurers how many consultants are fully covered. At this stage, chances are they both cover similar amounts, but better to be sure first.

Also, do a search on here. I know a few people have spoken about their experiences with Hibernian/VIVAS so you might learn more that way as well.

Another option may also be to talk to the guys behind [broken link removed]. I've never used them myself and I'm not connected with them in any way. They seem to act as a broker, but they also seem to be the only ones dealing with all three insurers. However, they may charge you for the service.

There is a tool on Hibernian Aviva's website that allows you to compare their plans against VHI and Quinn versions. It is easier to use than the HIA website but is obviously biased to point out Hibernian's good points.

There is an article in today's Irish Times that says HA are putting prices up by 12% in October but if you switch to them before 10th october you get the current prices. It suggests that VHI will put their prices up the early new year (january??) so I reckon switching now would be a good move.

I am no expert but I thought to get the GP vists etc without having to pay an excess you need EVERYDAY plan from Hibernian Aviva or the Lifestage Plans from VHI.
HTH
dishwasher

Thanks everyone - think I will go with my original plan and sign up with Hibernian before price increase on 9th October.

Just looking for a bit of advice from posters.
At the moment our family of 2 adults and 3 children are on plan B with VHI.It is costing us 188 euros per month(2256 per year).
My husband has changes jobs and is not on the same money.I was looking at the Level 1 Hospital with Hibernian which is 120.83 euros per month(1450 per year).
We have been with Vhi for 9 years and have used it twice for my son for wax cleaning from his ears,once for my daughter with her excema and once last year when my husband had to have a minor operation on his shoulder.As you can see we haven't really used it that much atall!
The Hibernian Level 1 Hospital seems to be quite good and I am wondering if anyone else is on this plan?
The Hibernian plan would save us 67 euros per month and with levies on wages and rising prsi this extra few euros in our pockets would be handy,BUT are we doing the right thing by moving?
Any opinions would be appreciated:)

Anyone still with VHI are mad and must have loads of money. Just to let you know that there are 3 Health Insurers and not just the two mentioned above. Quinn-Healthcare also exist and are more or less the same as Aviva (who have taken over Hibernian). If you switch to either Hibernian Level 2 Hospital (780 is new price) or Quinn Essential Plus (Excess 640 or No Excess 715), you will save a fortune. Aviva have upped their prices since Mid October so if you are going with them, get in quick. I think these prices are right but not certain. these would be a like for like against the vhi plan b and better in some cases

So that explains why my HA quote has gone up so much (in addition to the Govt. Health Insurance Levy). Looks like I'll be switching back to my old policy with Quinn. There was a slight saving with HA last year but now they're €114 pa more expensive!

VHI have increased their premium by almost 25 % .

2008 Plan B = € 664
2009 Plan B = € 828

It sounds like a crazy hike as everything else around appear to be falling in price .

Of course there is a financial saving to be made by going to a different provider , as I believe VHI are the most expensive .

But I wonder would it be worthwhile long term to change for a basic considered healthy individual .?
Maybe the question has been answered above , but is the ''devil you know better than the devil you don't ?''

We pay €236 rising to €296 next month with VHI (Forward Plan). This is for two adults - one of whom had a procedure some months back and will require a hip op next year. My question is, is there a cheaper like for like option with either Quinn or Hibernian.

Back