Irish Life Health Hibernian Aviva Health premium increase

cord

Just got my renewal notice from Hibernian Aviva Health. They state, “The price includes the Government Health Insurance Levy”, which I have a major problem with, however when I did the maths all was not correct. I rang the Company and found out that the price also included a 6% premium increase, which was not mentioned anywhere! When I advised him that I had not been informed on such an increase, I was told that the increase was mentioned in the papers.
Questions…Is it the responsibility of the insurer to advised the client in writing about premium increases?
Are all Health Insurers passing on the new levy to their clients?

Just got my renewal notice from Hibernian Aviva Health. They state, “The price includes the Government Health Insurance Levy”, which I have a major problem with, however when I did the maths all was not correct. I rang the Company and found out that the price also included a 6% premium increase, which was not mentioned anywhere! When I advised him that I had not been informed on such an increase, I was told that the increase was mentioned in the papers.
Questions…Is it the responsibility of the insurer to advised the client in writing about premium increases?

The insurer is responsible for informing the customer of the new premium, but not necessarily that there is a price increase/decrease. For example, when i got my car insurance quote in February it had gone up by something like €150, but all that was said was that this is my new price.

As for the levy, Quinn have also passed some of the levy onto their customers (see here), whereas VHI have not (see [broken link removed]).

Regardless of price increases or decreases, it's a good habit to shop around on health insurance every year anyway. Even if your current provider hasn't changed price, others may have dropped prices or launched new products. Also have a look at other products from Hibernian as they sometimes offer cheaper packages to company schemes, but you're still entitled to join these.

Thanks for the reply. Never thought of looking at Health Insurance from a car insurance perspective! Only fear would be, if I took the cheaper 3rd party,or so to speak, that I wouldn't be able to get back up to comprehensive cover later, if you get my drift!

Thanks for the reply. Never thought of looking at Health Insurance from a car insurance perspective! Only fear would be, if I took the cheaper 3rd party,or so to speak, that I wouldn't be able to get back up to comprehensive cover later, if you get my drift!

It's a very common fear, and an understandable one as well considering it involves someone's health; it's the better-the-devil-I-know factor.

The Health Insurance Authority publishes comparisons of the main benefits of nearly all the different health insurance products [broken link removed]. Have a look and see what else is out there.

Read through your own documentation to becaome more familiar with what you have cover for. Don't be afraid to quiz the sales people of the other insurers as to how their equivalents compare to what you have. You're not confined to your renewal date, you can switch at any stage and if you haven't made a claim then you'll get a refund for any overpaid premiums.

hi yes , there was an increase govt levy on all private plus it was in the papers but unlike vhi, which is on the news they did tell people , i know it sucks but sure thats ireland for you

On the aviva website you can compare their products to any from quinn or vhi. Although they price quinn slightly higher than they actually are, but you can see the benefits by comparison.

My VHI company plan plus has gone up from about 620 to about 740 - I think this means they are passing on part of the health levy anyway.

My VHI company plan plus has gone up from about 620 to about 740 - I think this means they are passing on part of the health levy anyway.

I don't think so. VHI's last price increase was an average of 23% and it looks like yours was a little less than that.

Hibernian are attempting to charge me this as well.

My current policy ends soon & then will rise €128 for the Governement Levy plus the 6% general increase.

None of these were pointed out (though they did mention the levy but not how much it was).

Only because I was on the ball did I spot it & am now switching to Quinn as their similar product is now cheaper.

On the aviva website you can compare their products to any from quinn or vhi. Although they price quinn slightly higher than they actually are, but you can see the benefits by comparison.

I suspect they appear slightly higher because Quinn charge an extra 3% per policy if you pay via monthly instalments instead of via one annual payment.

Back