Heating system questions. 

Pondering Paddy

I'm considering bidding on a house. the current heating system seems to have been installed with the house in mid 1990s. Obviously I'll need to get an expert in to give a proper estimate - but as a rough guide does anyone know typically what it would cost to upgrade a heating system as want to factor that into a bid.

House is a fairly standard, mid terrace with 1 bath, 2 showers (neither electric) and 3 sinks. It has piped gas. Currently boiler heats water cylinder and rads together, so can't just turn on hot water. (I think - the vendor mentioned using immersion to heat showers, but I assume that's just for summer and he could use the boiler to do that either or is it possible that someone in a 1990s property installed a boiler that didn't heat a cylinder?) 

Don't know much about plumbing - but from reading online a "combi" system sounds appropriate as it means I could heat the showers/taps directly on demand and also heat rads only as required. I'm unclear though if I can also heat a hot water tank separate again though? If I did have such a system would it be possible to use the hot water tank when it has hot water in it and the instant gas heated water from combi only when it doesn't? Also considering the value of installing solar panels - but potentially combi system and solar panels don't work together? Finally reading conflicting information online as to weather a combi boiler can deal with a bath. Anyone able to say if it should? 

So whilst aware this is a bit of a vague question does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of system can be installed and ball park what it might cost? 

You need to choose a flow rate to match the flow rate of the system. You can get combis with flow rates upto 17 l/m but typical would be 12 l/m.

Baths have large flow rates but there are tricks to reduce them. The problem with running a combi on its limit is when another tap in the home is opened and the flow rate cannot be satisfied. Generally, if you understand the limits of a combi, you will not be disappointed.

Water quality is also a factor, so a maintained water treatment system could be required depending on what you have.

Back