Heating System for new build query

I am not gogin to write a big long story for you. As i was not the person who got the system in but my friend raves about his system he got in his new house.
Check out a company called EcoLiving www.echoliving.ie
He reckons after 5 year he will have covered the cost and he has no more heating bills to pay.
Cheers,

Mike

Could somebody please advise the approximate cost difference for UFH to radiators for a 200sq mtr house. We were originally quoted for UFH but changed to rads and want to know what the cost difference is likely to be. Thanks.

Could somebody please advise the approximate cost difference for UFH to radiators for a 200sq mtr house. We were originally quoted for UFH but changed to rads and want to know what the cost difference is likely to be. Thanks.

What price were you quoted for UFH?

Davyjones, we werent quoted any specific amount. It was included in the builder's initial quote as a guideline. When we decided to go with rads they said we'd be due the difference back. From asking a few other builders/plumbers it seems to vary considerably. The initial quote was issued in 2007. Any ideas?

Davy... maybe have look here for examples of stats which may be applicable :
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055263818

I agree with a lot of what you say, but i am trying to push cleints towards the way things should be, rather than how they are......

Hi Syd,

thanks for the link, interesting. Maybe we should do something similar here?.

I will research the heating and ele requirements for my own home and take into consideration installation cost and compare with alternative forms of heating.

I agree with the concepts but feel that it costs far too much to be viable at the moment .

the concept of high spec insulation and high spec air tightness in order to reduce your heating demand certainly isnt high cost. Its all about proper design and attention to detail.

the concept of high spec insulation and high spec air tightness in order to reduce your heating demand certainly isnt high cost. Its all about proper design and attention to detail.

Your quite right.

I like the idea of HRV. and insulation is key. However I have doubts about the best way to generate heat in the first place

why use a heating system E.G geothermal that can cost up to €30000 and thats before you lay a pipe indoors. UFH may cost as much as €30 per m2. It's a massive outlay to begin with. How long before you see a payback, if any?

If I were to build a house tomorrow I would go for:

Radiator system
Condensing boiler.
This system would cost about €8000 in a bigger than average house. Running costs in a house with HRV and well insulated would be low.
Stove connected to heating system.
I would not fit solar panels but may allow for them to be retro fitted.

Your quite right.

I like the idea of HRV. and insulation is key. However I have doubts about the best way to generate heat in the first place

why use a heating system E.G geothermal that can cost up to €30000 and thats before you lay a pipe indoors. UFH may cost as much as €30 per m2. It's a massive outlay to begin with. How long before you see a payback, if any?

If I were to build a house tomorrow I would go for:

Radiator system
Condensing boiler.
This system would cost about €8000 in a bigger than average house. Running costs in a house with HRV and well insulated would be low.
Stove connected to heating system.
I would not fit solar panels but may allow for them to be retro fitted.

if i was building tomorrow and i could build the envelope i wanted i would use:

a HVAC system with heat recovery.
A small electricial element in the HVAC system would be my heat source, heatingthrough air ducts.. .no water space heating at all.

Domestic hot water would be by solar panels alone.

This is assuming 'passive' standard build.

if i was building tomorrow and i could build the envelope i wanted i would use:

a HVAC system with heat recovery.
A small electricial element in the HVAC system would be my heat source, heatingthrough air ducts.. .no water space heating at all.

Domestic hot water would be by solar panels alone.

This is assuming 'passive' standard build.

Roughly, what would be cost of running small electricial element?.

Heat recovery in my opinion is a great idea. Something I wish to get involved in.

I have very little faith in current solar panels. How would you have hot water in the winter?

I have no idea davy.... pipe dreams at the moment...

id ensure enough solar panels to suffice...

i know of a dweling in cork which is heated completely with solar tube collectors and a small wood stove... ive only seen pictures but the set-up is a approx 2500 litre external buffer tank fed off about 16 m run of tube collectors....

very interesting stuff...

Sydthebeat, cheers for your reply, makes sense! Out of interest, if were to build the envelope you wanted tomorrow what would it be?

I built my new house Just over 2 years ago 2500sq Ft I was sick of listening to people running down under floor heating as I built My first house and back in 2002 and I was recommended by the builder and architect not to go for UFH and they convinced my other half :confused: my good friends next door Put in UFH and I was very disappointed as I was over in there house very regularly and I had twice the heating costs and half the comfort. So last time I went to see Gerry Walsh In Tullamore www.Energysuperstore.ie He designed a system for me and gave me all the options I went for Under floor Heating Power by a Heat pump Costing me approx €1100.00 per year to heat my house and Hrv at a very low cost of €50.00--€75.00 per year We don’t know the comfort As one of your replies recommended a Condensing Oil boiler which was a cheap option but a lot more costly to run which Gerry gave me this option wit UFH I took out an extra 10k on my mortgage and Heat pump will have its self paid for in 5-6 years.Do your own studies all I can say is from my experience and if you get the efficiencies from these salesmen a lot of the figures don’t add up Make your own decisions and you will not be far out.I know this is in most cases a lifetime decision.My wife would not go back to a house with radiators as she knows what she has know.You will listen to a lot of Gargle Like some telling you If there more water in the floor it will be morecostly to heat Once you get the heat up in the floor it takes very little to keep it hot There are a lot of Myths around But it works fine for me and is half the price of oil to run :)

David Dagg

There are a lot of Myths around But it works fine for me and is half the price of oil to run :)

David Dagg

So you've run this same house on oil previously and can back up this statement? Based on what price for oil and what price for electricity? Don't take this as an attack but there is no point in making statements but giving no context around them.

Incidently, as has already been said, your post was very difficult to read. You may want to consider full stops and paragraphs when posting here.

Last edited:
What was the difference in insulation between the house you built in 2002 and the one you built in 2007? I suspect there would be a dramatic difference between the two.

Back