"Health Repayment Scheme": Scheme Administrator KPMG is not very efficient.

Re: Health Repayment Scheme: Scheme Administrator is not very efficient.

This is my first post and I am fuming over this set up. I have entered claims for both my late mother and father over a year and have been constantly on the phone to the helpline since last October.It has been excuse after excuse after excuse.We have been told that the files are in calculation since last November. About 6 weeks ago we were told that they were issuing 300 to 400 letters a week and that the everyone would be paid out by August 2008. When I ask them the total number of claims unpaid, a primary school child could work out that it would take up to 2 more years,not a few months to pay out. Lately they have changed their story,now ALL the letters will be sent out in bulk. Meanwhile I read in the papers that the majority will be paid out by June 2008,witha SMALL few to pay after that...

Should I believe this after all that has gone on..

I wrote to my local TD last November..I did not speak to him..but his secretary rang me and said she enquired and got the same answers I did. This guy is also a Minister of State..and he has not done anything for me either..

There must be many people in the same boat as I am..

Maybe try an opposition TD , they might be more agressive . FFers don't want to hear about problems in the health area , they won't make a fuss because it highlights their failure to manage the health "services".
It would be interesting to know how much KPMG got paid for their assistance , I can immagine that its a pretty penny , especially when you think that most of the work ( finding old files that show from whom deductions were made ) is work carried out by local hospital admin. staff . In addition , appeals go to HSE staff.
pjq
PS I have nothing against KPMG , they have a super worldwide reputation ...... and here in Ireland Mary Harney and the HSE have an unequalled reputation .

Hi All

I applied for repayment for money taken from my late aunt mostly because of the harassment she received from the Health Board for payment of this each month and the phone calls I used to get at work from members of the Western Health Board looking for the payment.

Although I have receipts for all the money and letters from the health board about the fees my claim was rejected on the grounds that she was in a private nursing home. She was in a Western Health Board hospital and had a medical card (which I still have). I sent off an appeal and photocopied the receipts, letters etc.

Today I received a letter telling me that my appeal has been rejected on the grounds that she was in a private nursing home which she wasn't.
It appears to me that this final rejection letter was sent out as standard without the file even being looked at. I phoned up but cannot speak to the Appeals Officer - was just told to write in but as I pointed out what is the point in writing in when clearly my original appeal wasn't even read as I felt I had a cast iron case since I have her medical card and receipts and letters.
What steps can I take now. Does anyone else feel the appeals is a con.

This seems to be a common experience. Not related to this scheme but to get payment for a relative of monies owed from the Health Board for something else we made endless phone calls and letters, for about 3 yrs and got nowhere. They simply did nothing except play phone and letter bingo with us. Like others who posted earlier we reverted to getting our local TDs involved, and only then were the payments made.

Hi All

I applied for repayment for money taken from my late aunt mostly because of the harassment she received from the Health Board for payment of this each month and the phone calls I used to get at work from members of the Western Health Board looking for the payment.

Although I have receipts for all the money and letters from the health board about the fees my claim was rejected on the grounds that she was in a private nursing home. She was in a Western Health Board hospital and had a medical card (which I still have). I sent off an appeal and photocopied the receipts, letters etc.

Today I received a letter telling me that my appeal has been rejected on the grounds that she was in a private nursing home which she wasn't.
It appears to me that this final rejection letter was sent out as standard without the file even being looked at. I phoned up but cannot speak to the Appeals Officer - was just told to write in but as I pointed out what is the point in writing in when clearly my original appeal wasn't even read as I felt I had a cast iron case since I have her medical card and receipts and letters.
What steps can I take now. Does anyone else feel the appeals is a con.

The basic point of appeal appears to be that the hospital was a public hospital and not a private one. Have you given them evidence of this to support your contention?

Hi

Yes, when I sent off the appeal form I submitted photocopies of both receipts and letters from the Western Health Board which were on headed paper from the Health Board.

It just looks to me as if the Appeals Officer didn't even read the file or he would have seen these photocopies and copies of letters that I had sent on behalf of my late aunt (while she was alive) to the then Minister for Health and the Taoiseach.

Maybe because I'm currently living in the UK they think that I'm just chancing my arm cashing in on a dead relative but this isn't the case. I only moved here after she (RIP) passed away and was very close to her as she was like a mother to me so I know how upset she was having to give up her pension and because of that also having to ask me to pay some of her bills - didn't mind doing that at all as she had done a lot for me when I was young but she did find it humiliating that she was left with no money of her own. I'm on a cruasade with this as I believe the stress of it contributed to her death.
A month after she passed away the Health Board wrote to me asking me to pay for her last month as they hadn't collected it!!!

You were entitled to an oral hearing when you lodged an appeal..the law itself will be challenged in the high Court(4 years time) and it could take 7 years for the law to be overturned if there is Supreme court appeal..

But in all fairness isn't it a disgrace when people had no choice but to have their loved one's looked after and had to pay for this out of their own resources and then have to go down the road of sending letters, emails and resorting to contacting TD's etc in order to have their monies refunded to them. Its a disgrace in this day and age that these schemes take so long to administer. Too much red tape as usual.

I am very thankful that I have been sorted out and am extremely grateful to my own local TD for intervening on my behalf. His vote is safe come the next election :)

Theres something deeply wrong in the HSE.

Agreed. Too many chiefs, managers managing managers etc. etc. Its not the doctor's or nurses fault but the stupid systems they have to abide by.

I am very thankful that I have been sorted out and am extremely grateful to my own local TD for intervening on my behalf. His vote is safe come the next election :)

A TD voting for a 1st World, well managed, Health Service is like a turkey voting for Christmas . Well managed = don't need a little fixer = not grateful enough to vote for "little fixer TD"

I don't blame anyone for going to a TD to deal with the mess that is our public service, I have used them myself , but I don't owe them anything ! They are paid very well by the taxpayer for what little they (are able to) do.
pjq

This thread is about the administration of the health repayment scheme. This role has been subcontracted to the private sector KPMG.

There are scores of other threads here which deal with the HSE and its poor management and service delivery.

Try to keep this thread to deal with the issues surrounding the "health repayments scheme" and its (mal)administration.

If generalised rants continue then this thead will be consigned to the Letting Off Steam section.

Having dealt witha government TD,I emailed a lengthy letter,detailing my case to an opposition TD. I also emailed the Ministers office with the same letter. Neither have replied ..I provided them with email addresses plus landline and mobile numbers. These two courses of action were suggested above.. I suppose I will have to resort to snail mail and phone calls now to these two avenues..

I sent a copy of my email to an opposition TD..he rang me and told me he would have a PQ in the dail..but he did not have much hope of me getting paid quickly as he felt they were deliberately delaying payout because of the cash shortage now.

Now they tell me that all offer letters will be sent out by the end of August,last week they told me all offer letters will be sent out by the end of June..

Has any had satisfaction where the patient was forced to go to a private nursing home ?
I have been told that it is outside the "Scheme". My mother spent 3 years in a private nursing home because there was nothing else available.

Does anyone know of payments made to patients that were forced to go to a private nursing home ?

I have heard that there have been a couple of High Court cases to contest some aspects of the scheme, but I have'nt got any details of what the cases were or their sucess.
I would be grateful if you have any knowledge of any of the above situations that would help the appeal case.
Thank You.

sorry poor one..cant help...

I am now being told I will get an offer letter in the next 3 weeks..that means sometime in October..

The scheme was supposed to end at the end of August..

I even met a Minister whom I found less than polite and he tried to defend the indefensible..

Back