Health Insurance Renewal Advice

Kid_A_

I'm a healthy 37 y/o with one child. I need to renew my health insurance- my most recent policy was with GLO health Net Most 300, but I'm considering dropping back to the most basic level of cover. I'd appreciate any observations on this strategy, is it foolhardy? What is the best basic option?
Also what is the consensus re health insurance for small children?
Thanks

Hi Kid_A_,

Welcome to AAM.
Regarding dropping back to the most basic level of cover, its a last resort. It just covers all public hospitals, which is fine. The problem relates
to waiting times for surgery or treatment if required. With basic level cover, you are on the same waiting list as those with no health insurance,
which makes it pointless. However, there are 2 other options worth considering at a good price with private hospital cover included.

1. Irish Life Kick OFF Plan; price 568pa;
Kick Off plan is a basic level plan which covers just public hospitals but with an extra option to upgrade to a private plan if you require surgery or
treatment in a private hospital. There is no upgrade waiting time applied, which is normally 2 years waiting. The way it works is when you get a
date for surgery in the private hospital, you contact Irish Life about 2 weeks beforehand to upgrade to the private policy. This is a handy way of
saving money as you only upgrade when required. It is a unique type of plan, there is no other plan like it on the market - the first of its type.

[broken link removed]

2. VHI One Plan 500; price 769pa;
The second option is to go for a lower priced plan that includes private hospital cover but with a higher hospital excess, in this case 500 per admission to a private hospital. One Plan 500 is a good example of this plan type. It fully covers all public and private hospitals at a lower price.

[broken link removed]

Regarding health insurance for small children, it can come in handy for tonsils, adenoids, grommets etc. For children over 3 yrs, the three
hi-tech hospitals Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private and Beacon hospital cater for a range of children's surgery.
At the moment, VHI have a half price offer for children on the One plan range which is very good value.

1. One + Plan; price 148 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Excess 125 per private/hi-tech admission or day case.
2. One Plan Complete; price 169 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. No excess on this plan for any admission or day case procedure.
[broken link removed]

Note; VHI allow children to be insured on their own, an adult is just named on the policy but just the child is insured.
So, you could choose the Irish Life plan while your child is with VHI if it suits.

Hope this helps with your decisions.

Snowyb

Back