Health Insurance Health Insurance for Mother

NiallMac1985

Hi All,

My mother recently asked me to look into health insurance cover for her. She is 69 and has never had health insurance previously. She is still working full time, and has no pre-existing conditions. I'm aware of the LCR, and that she is going to have 70% on top of any premium.

There are so many policies out there, and i'm struggling to find one which best suits her. The reason she wants to get insurance now is in case of any orthopedic procedures she may need down the line - she knows that there will be a 5 year waiting period on these. She has some monthly prescriptions, and goes to her GP a few times a year, but otherwise is perfectly healthy thankfully.

Can anyone point me in the right direction policy wise? Irish Life are recommending the Befit 1 policy, which has a €2,000 "co-payment" against certain orthopedic procedures. I have the VHI One Plus plan myself, and this is what VHI are recommending for her as well.

There might be someone in a similar position on here? I'm just finding it rather daunting sifting through all these policies on the HIA website. Any help is much appreciated

Hi NiallMac1985,

Just to clarify, for all new customers, regardless of age, there is a 26 week waiting time to serve. During this 26 weeks, accidents and injuries are
covered. After this waiting time is served, all new illnesses are covered with no waiting applied. The 5 year waiting time is applied only in
respect of any pre-existing conditions or illnesses that exist when you take out the policy. If you have no pre-existing illnesses - no waiting applies.
Just the standard 26 weeks waiting time for all new customers.

The VHI One + Plan is a good hospital cover plan with 80% cover for orthopaedic surgery in private or hi-tech hospitals. Some private hospitals
will charge the 20% shortfall amount to the patient, which could be 2000 - 3000+ depending on type of surgery. However, if you choose either
Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private for orthopaedic surgery, there is no extra charge. These 2 hi-tech hospitals are not passing the shortfall charge
onto the patient so, in effect, there is 100% orthopaedic cover.

The Be Fit 1 plan with Irish Life is a good plan with less hi-tech cover. The 2000 co-payment for orthopaedic surgery would be collected by the
private hospitals, it is not clear if both hi-tech hospitals will collect this 2000.

The Laya healthcare plans have no shortfalls for orthopaedic surgery, in private or hi-tech hospitals. So for that reason alone they would be highly recommended. There is no waiting time with Laya for day to day expenses, regardless of age.
Some other providers have a 26 week waiting time for day to day expenses, for age 50+ with VHI, age 55+ with Irish Life Health, and all ages with
Glohealth.

Details of recommended plans with Laya Healthcare as follows;

1. Simplicity plan; price 1087 + 70%; public, private(including a private room) and hi-tech hospital cover included, one off excess if admitted for a stay for surgery or treatment in a private/hi-tech hospital 100 x 2 max per year - regardless of the amount of admissions. Day case excess 50 per visit. No excess applies to any public hospital. Day to day cover included 50% refund for consultant, gp visits, dental etc - the first 100
not allowed.

2. Flex Explore Range 250, 375 or 500 Excess
Public, Private and Hi-tech hospital cover included, no day to day cover.
The higher the excess, the cheaper the premium per annum.
Note; there is a 5% discount with these 3 plans for new customers if purchased online upto or before 31st October 2016.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Back