Health Insurance-difference in waiting times?

Rexel2

hi
I am enquiring what the difference between having a health plan which offers cover for a semi-private room in a public hospital and one which offers cover for a semi-private room in a private hospital? Is it a difference of waiting time with speedier attention being offered with the latter - i.e. are you seen quicker in the latter case? The quote I am receiving for the latter is much higher.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I recall a few articles over the last 2 years that stated that the waiting times as a private patient in Dublin public hospitals is as long as the waiting times as a public patient in the same hospitals for the same treatment. Unfortunately, I can't find a link to those articles anywhere, so I'm only going on memory.

Waiting times for private hospitals aren't published anywhere that I'm aware of, but my inclination is that access to private hospitals would generally be quicker than that for public hospitals.

Perhaps ask your insurer to give you an indication of the average waiting time for your local private hospitals? The waiting time for each type of treatment will be different, but at least with an average you have a better idea. Or even contact the hospital admissions office yourself to see what they say?

The reason for the difference is price is mostly to do with the cost of a semi-private bed in a private hospital is higher than in a public hospital.

The issue of whether access is faster is not as simple as it is the consultants waiting list you are on, not necessarily the wait for a bed
so it would depend on what you needed done and who is going to be doing it.

Some consultants have waiting lists for private patients, and some dont. Some have agreed fast access with private hospitals.

Dont forget, it also depends what you need done. I know someone getting a hip replacement who asked her private consultant why she couldn't have it done in a private hospital and was told that they dont have full facilities for hip replacement like a suitable physio service so he only did them in public hospitals.

Back