HAVE WE reached the top of property prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trekie

this may not be nice to hear if you have just bought a property but as someone who has invested in several properties i think we have reached the peak in property prices...i had been seeking another property since oct 05 and had a bid accepted on a house which when i had refurbished it would have made economic sense to let out..However the vendor took the property off the market before contracts were signed when news broke that prices had increased a third since nov 05. No doubt it will go on the market at a higher price..When i went for a modest property in the dublin area the top bid was 318,000. With stamp duty and enough funds to do the nessesary bits and pieces i would have to borrow 360,000. When one considers
(1) the deluge of rental units coming on the market.( in 05 we built more units here than all of the uk put together)

(2) rents are likely to stay static at current levels of approx 11/12,000 euro's
(3)Interest rates are certain to increase
(4)one must factor into account that the property may be vacant for two months of the year.
Under these conditions it would not be viable to buy now. The first time buyer would also find it almost impossible to buy now as they will have to pay capital as well as interest. There is one other event that may put pressure on the letting market in this country.. I may be wrong but has anyone taken into account that the world cup is comming up. We have a huge number of young polish workers in this country, and if i were young, carefree, and flush with money i would be heading to germany to see my country play.. like i said i might be wrong but if im right ,there will be a lot of properties coming onto the rental market and the singel let investor may find there property vacant all of a sudden.

trekie said:
....when news broke that prices had increased a third since nov 05.
1/3rd in 6 months..... Where is that property?

I have been saying for years that prices can not continue going up, and I have been wrong...but one day, i am sure i will be right.. When ? is the real question.. Nobody knows .... expect brokers, EA's and auctionners;)

I own a 3bed-semi on the South Douglas Road in Cork....house next door sold for €320k eight months ago.....house three doors down now on the market for "excess" of €370k....demented price, makes no sense to me whatsoever...all sense has gone from the market...it's all gonna end in tears

Plenty of discussion elsewhere in existing thread on the site on property prices being overvalued.

I don't believe this adds much.

Locked by CCOVICH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back