Have the banks stopped trading?

Trading what?

As in ceased to be/gone into liquidation?

Not that I'm aware of, although it is a couple of days since I used my laser card!

I used my Laser card today and the ATM was working .........So they must be open for business .

I used my Laser card today and the ATM was working .........So they must be open for business .

Some of the ATM's for one of the major banks werent working for a while yesterday - I assume it was an IT problem.

If you heard the CEO of AIB on 'The Last Word' today you'd think that it was all rosy in the garden.:rolleyes:

Well, they are certainly both trading.

Talk about scaremongering, OP. And Theresa, if you have anything to back up your unequivocal statement that AIB will be "nationalised shortly", I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.

Well, David Begg said so, and he's a governor of the Central Bank...

[broken link removed]
ALL Irish banks will be nationalised within the next three months according to union leader [and governor of the Central Bank] David Begg, who said the recapitalisation of Bank of Ireland and AIB is bound to fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough, but David Begg is (i) not a disinterested observer and (ii) not in any position to actually make nationalisation happen.

He's not the governor of the Central Bank. He's a director of the Central Bank (who reports to the Governor) and has been for quite some time. He's not speaking for the Central Bank when he says those things.

See [broken link removed] article about the same thing.

"SENIOR UNION official David Begg has said his call to nationalise the banks was the position of the trade union movement and had nothing to do with his membership of the board of directors at the Central Bank."

I did say 'a' governor, not 'the' governor... edit: ah, sorry, I didn't put an article into the second quote - sorry for the misunderstanding...

He may not be a disinterested observer, but then what is he doing on the board of directors of the Central Bank and holding this opinio? Does he know something from his position there that leads him to this conclusion? Are the two positions incompatible?

He may not be a disinterested observer, but then what is he doing on the board of directors of the Central Bank and holding this opinio?

Good question. Or rather, he can hold whatever opinion he wants, but publicising it such that it makes national headlines is the problem.

Does he know something from his position there that leads him to this conclusion?

I don't think so - as the clarification from the IT would also suggest

Are the two positions incompatible?

I think so, yes. He should not be making pronouncements about nationalisation of banks in his capacity of ICTU president if he is also a director of the Central Bank. Else people will actually start to take it as fact, which is why he needed to clarify that he's speaking solely as ICTU president when he said that.

p.s. you added that bit in square parenthesis to that quote that you posted - that language was not in the Examiner Article. I think it's important to make that clear for other readers of this thread.

Last edited:
I think so, yes. He should not be making pronouncements about nationalisation of banks in his capacity of ICTU president if he is also a director of the Central Bank. Else people will actually start to take it as fact, which is why he needed to clarify that he's speaking solely as ICTU president when he said that.
It's all a bit 'pope speaking infallibly' really. Does he have a chinese wall down the middle of his brain!

p.s. you added that bit in square parenthesis to that quote that you posted - that language was not in the Examiner Article. I think it's important to make that clear for other readers of this thread.
Eh, that's what square brackets in a quote mean (editor's insert), as far as I know.

Union leaders and other non-exec directors are not privy to inside information. Our corporate governance system is pretty effed up, in that we have all these travel agents, union leaders, pop stars and radio producers on the boards of our biggest companies. I don't know what it's all about. And neither do most people.

Back