Handcuffed by insurance company after a claim

If the claim is settled, most insurers put the amount of the claim on the no claims bonus statement, along with date, type of claim and status.

How much was your claim for and is it fully settled? If there was personal injuries claimed for it's likely not settled yet. If it's not settled yet you really are handcuffed for a while.

If your bonus went from 5 to 3 years what you had on it was 'step back' protection. That is a level below 'full' bonus protection and generally a less expensive addition. Some insurers have step back protection for free e.g. Eaglestar.

Axa are quoting at present where there is a claim under a certain amount, I think it's 10k, not sure.
Provided they would quote you anyway and there is no other reason they would decline it on (vehicle type, drivers age etc). Ask your broker again. Though if claim is not fully settled, not a lot they can do.
Well there is no personal injury claim possible as there was no one in the car at the time mine hit it. All the NCB statement says is "The last recorded incident occured on xx/xx/2006". I would assume it has been settled at this stage as I saw the other car a week later all fixed up and well again.

I was involved in a crash in 2000. Claim settled eventually 90% in my favour. Was getting unreasonable quotes from insurance company (and having to pay them for 2 years as no one would touch me untill claim was settled). After claim was settled I questioned quotes (from 400 (prior to crash) to 1600 + a lucky we are quoting at all attitude). I went to broker and said if insurance company didnt change tact I would get onto ombudsman. Not only was my policy brought down I was also back paid on the 2 years they loaded my policy ...... its good to talk ;-)

Back