Halifax regular saver rate

Originally Posted by John J http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=580649#post580649
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be true. There have been some quite savage cuts in interest rates on these accounts. See Halifax website.

To summarise:

First tranche of Monthly Savers (opened prior to 24/10/06)
Rate has fallen from 5.5% to 3%

Second tranche of Monthly Savers (opened between 24/10/06 and 07/10/07)
Rate has fallen from 7% to 4%

Third tranche of Monthly Savers (opened after 07/10/07): rate unchanged

[broken link removed]
JUST TO CLARIFY:
I opened my account opened after 07/10/07 so rate is still at 7% ? Is it?

Anyone who closed their regular saver account can you tell me how long it took for the system to register this online and transfer the funds to your current account? Thanks

Sorry I am a bit confised here , the current best buy section states that rate is 7.00% inc bonus interst
"7.00% inc bonus interest.
2.25% if terms are not met.

"Regular lodgements required (direct debit only): Minimum €10 a month; Maximum €350. Total lodged cannot exceed €50,000. At most two withdrawals in first 12 months. You may change the amount of your monthly deposit at most once in each year."

and Halifax website is showing a "new" product with same interst rate 7.00% [broken link removed]

So as far as I can see the high interst rate is still on , but max lodgement has been dropeed from 750 to 350 a month ..

Can you please clarify

Thanks

Just went to Halifax online to check my regular savings account and was shocked to see that the rate stated is 4% rather than the 7% the last time I checked. Then rushed on here to AAM and searched for this thread.

Given the good advise here, I phoned up Halifax Customer Service, waited just two minutes before I got through to a Rep. Confirmed the rate change ( I opened my account in Nov’06 ), she also confirmed the advise here, to reduce my monthly contribution to 10 euro and also withdraw funds as long as the balance is also above 10 euro. She implemented the change to the lower contribution and also put me through directly to the Maynooth branch where I have the account.

The official in Maynooth took my details and confirmed that she would have the cash in the branch for my withdrawal tomorrow.

Other than the interest rate dropping, I find Halifax customer service very professional and easy to deal with, unlike some others I could mention.

Anyone who closed their regular saver account can you tell me how long it took for the system to register this online and transfer the funds to your current account? Thanks
regarding the time need to get the funds after closing the account. I went into the bank last Saturday and closed the accounts asking they transfer the money into other halifax accounts. At the time they said it would take 3 working days. As of yesterday, no funds transferred so rang up customer service and they said the transaction process had begun on Wednesday and I should have the funds in my account next Monday...so 3 days has become 5...or 6 if you count next Monday. No explanation given when i asked about the reason for the delay...

I had to fax my instructions again on Monday because my fax last week was not signed. My mistake. :eek: Today the money has disappeared from the regular saver account but has not yet appeared in my (Halifax) current account. I presume it's in the ether somewhere but hold time for queries at the moment is 5 minutes so I will keep an eye on things and maybe call them at a quieter time.

Got a call from them there myself 2 days ago, querying the Sort Code I gave them, said it was showing up as AIB not Northern Rock (Guess it may have been human error on their end as the letter was typed & I copy / pasted the details from the website, not to mention BOI work just fine with the same details ;)).

Northern Rock use an AIB clearing account for transfers. That's why the sort code, account number and your own NR account number (as the reference) are required. See [broken link removed]:
How can I send an electronic transfer from my external bank account?

In order to send an electronic transfer from a current account to your Demand Online account you must contact your bank and tell them to send the funds to our clearing account, details of which are as follows:

AIB, Westmoreland St, Dublin 2
Account Number; 75234003
Sort Code; 93-33-84
Reference*
*It is important that you quote your Demand Online account number as the reference as funds cannot be applied without this number.
Northern Rock cannot withdraw from an external account.

Called into branch to close my reg.saver due to rates collapse,requested transfer into my flexi saver a/c.
In spite of doing the above 10 working days in advance of the next standing order payment Halifax incompetance means that they didnt terminate the standing order and still havent transfered to my flexi saver.
I switched my current account to them recently and none of my direct debits have even been actioned even though they have the details resulting in me having late payment fees applied.

Strange. After my second fax last Monday (correcting my own mistake on the first one!) they closed my account yesterday (although I think it still appears online but generates an error when I click on it) and then the money appeared in my current account later that day.

i just rang halifax customer care and asked about the rate of my regular saver dropping from 7% to 4%, the rep asked what date i opened my account and i told him 24/10/07 and he told me that i will be on the 7% rate until june?

i wonder why june?

Its guaranteed or "up for review" in June. No indication of whether it may remain the same, may change to reflect market conditions, or plain and simple drop down to 4% like the series 2 regular saver account. Just have to wait and see.....

No mention of that here yet...

[broken link removed]

Maybe they'll review they rate then, or perhaps it's the planned to drop it too & they accidentally revealed that.

I was told this in the branch aswell, which made me decide not to re-open a new regular saver account. Their exact words were the rate will be "up for review" then.

Back