Halifax High Interest Current Account

My guess is 0% on anything over €2K.
According to [broken link removed] it is 0% on anything over €2K and if you dont meet the €1500 target the monthly interest is only 0.1%.

Does anyone know if cashback is possible with the debit card with this account?, I find that pretty handy with my BOI laser card.

Does anyone know if cashback is possible with the debit card with this account?, I find that pretty handy with my BOI laser card.

From the Halifax website. "You can use your Halifax Debit Card to pay for purchases, get cashback and withdraw cash from ATMs. Your card can also be used as ID if you visit any of our branches"

The daily withdrawal limit on the ATM card is €500. I presume the limit on the debit card would be similar.

If you decide to apply online and send them the required documentation make sure you post the letter registered or something.

They (or rather AnPost they claim) now have lost twice my documents!

I'm now going over to the branch and do it there because I don't trust them at all.

Yep, I've applied online today, but I wont be posting the documents. Seems like a recipe for disaster. Just going to pop into their Branch on saturday morning :D

Does that work ?

Wife opens one a/c and commits to min lodgement of €1500 per month.
First month, she lodges €2000.

Husband opens one a/c and commits to min lodgement of €1500 per month.
First month, he lodges €2000.

Second month and hereafter...
Transfer €1500 out of wife a/c to husband a/c and transfer €1500 out of husband a/c to wife a/c.

So, each month, €1500 is lodged onto each account, e.g. conditions to get 10% are met, and both accounts are pretty much all the time at optimum balance (e.g. €2000) withtout having to use extra €3000 for cash flow.

If you decide to apply online and send them the required documentation make sure you post the letter registered or something.

They (or rather AnPost they claim) now have lost twice my documents!

Posted mine last week, and have just noticed this. Never had a problem posting documents before (ACC/Rabo/NR), so you have me worried now! At least I had the sense to keep a photocopy. Did think about visiting a branch, but it seemed simpler to send things direct to their back office.

In reply to Bacchus query I'm guessing the 1500euro transfer mightn't apply between halifax accounts???

Maybe use another bank with free banking to receive wages/salary payments and transfer 1500 to each of the 2 Halifax accounts yourself each month.

Can anyone confirm the ability to transfer funds internationally with just a single phone call, no need to visit a branch .....it's not that I don't believe what people say in a call centre ... just like to know someone has been there and done that. I don't want to move my business only to find that I have a 35km round trip every time I want to do this.

Thanks

Eoin

P.S. I have read their website and can't find it in writing

Has anyone actually opened a Halifax Current Account and if so how long did it take for you to :

a) Get a answer?
b) Get access to your new account?

I have opened a Halifax Current account.

It took 5 days before I got approval and then it took another 5 days for my card and bank details to arrive. It all went smoothly.

The card I received is an all-in-one ATM/Visa Debit/Cheque Guarantee card which works just like Laser, the funds comes straight out of your bank, and it is accepted anywhere that you see the Visa sign. The card has a CVV number on the back.

I have used the card on PayPal, eBay and everal other online stores without a problem. The VISA Debit card is the only reason I opened the account; no more 3V. :) It is, in my opinion, a nice looking card with a light blue design and nice rounded edges. It has the new symbol for Visa on it as opposed to the old Visa flag symbol.

The stripe that you sign on the back is rather different to any card I have seen which makes it very easy to sign with a ballpoint pen.

I still have my AIB account, I didn't have to switch to get this account.

One downside is that Halifax do not seem to have their own ATM network even at their branches they do not have an ATM machine so getting balance requests can be tricky but you can use internet banking.

They will be bringing ATM machines on stream shortly, they have 2 outside there St. Stephens Green branch, there just not operational yet! Hopefully they will have one at the rest of their branchs as well!

And I'm now finaly joining the Halifax account customers. I received a phone calls today telling me I'm approved (1 month after I applied).

According to them they "found" my documents on the 19st of this month, nearly 4 weeks after I send them to them. Hurray!

Now I just need to convince them to give me a credit card and PTSB is gone..

Opened a credit card account for the 0% balance transfer and the bank account on the same day. It took 5 working days to get the cards and another 2/3 for the PINs. No sign of the internet banking details yet or the cheque book for that matter.
Overall, a very quick and easy system and the demo for the online banking seems straightforward. My experience with BOI online isn't great.
I am now changing over my direct debits so I am sure I'll come across some glitches sooner or later. It's inevitable with banks.

I'm enduring a nightmare with them at the moment trying to get my internet banking details. It all run from the UK and obviously their postal strikes are mucking things up. I really don't want to get new ones issued because that's another week I'll have to wait at least.

I'm enduring a nightmare with them at the moment trying to get my internet banking details. It all run from the UK and obviously their postal strikes are mucking things up. I really don't want to get new ones issued because that's another week I'll have to wait at least.

Are you sure that it comes from the UK?

I got new online details send on 3rd July and it was here on 06th July with post paid in Eire with Dundalk return address.

It might be run from the UK but it for sure looks like it's printed in Dundalk and send from there.

They probably send it on from Dundalk, but I was told by a few people that the operation is run from the UK. They could be wrong I guess.

Back