Govt E-Tenders Website: Has anyone had any success with the contracts on this site.

Re: Govt E-Tenders Website: Has anyone had any success with the contracts on this sit

So give us the examples of where these conditions have been used?
No. I'm too busy to look this up.
However, you seemed to have done this yourself:
Some tenders require a supplier of certain size. This requirement can be controversial (see [broken link removed]) but it is a clear, up-front requirement.

Re: Govt E-Tenders Website: Has anyone had any success with the contracts on this sit

No. I'm too busy to look this up.
OK, so just to be clear, you don't know that this potential issue has occured. You have no specific examples or knowledge of any specific cases where this has occured - right?

However, you seemed to have done this yourself:
Nope, the guidelines in that case don't restrict the market to one supplier. The market is open to many, many large suppliers (mostly international).

Are there any examples of where these problems have occured?

Before this thread gets closed can you tell in what format people mostly submit their tenders i.e. Word, excel, powerpoint or a particular software?

Before this thread gets closed can you tell in what format people mostly submit their tenders i.e. Word, excel, powerpoint or a particular software?
Keep it simple. The tender recipients may not have latest versions of the MS products. I would stick with Word or pdf, but if in doubt (and the tender document does not specify what format is required), ask the question beforehand.

Nope, the guidelines in that case don't restrict the market to one supplier. The market is open to many, many large suppliers (mostly international).

Are there any examples of where these problems have occured?
It is restricting the tender to large suppliers. This in itself is problem enough. My anecdotal evidence suggests that in some cases the criteria goes even further in restricting which company will be successful, to the point that it's reverse engineered.

We've only ever gone for one or two tenders, and gave up after that because of the reasons mentioned in this thread. ie - it's a rigged system.

It is restricting the tender to large suppliers. This in itself is problem enough. My anecdotal evidence suggests that in some cases the criteria goes even further in restricting which company will be successful, to the point that it's reverse engineered.

We've only ever gone for one or two tenders, and gave up after that because of the reasons mentioned in this thread. ie - it's a rigged system.

I absolutely would not agree it is rigged, however I would agree that some of the requirements in place can make it difficult for a smaller supplier to land a deal, in particuler those related to the financial standing of the supplier and associated guarantees relating to that. I would imagine that a start up would find it very difficult to meet some of the criteria required

It is restricting the tender to large suppliers. This in itself is problem enough.
It is indeed a problem, but it is an explicit, up-front, on the table problem, which is made absolutely clear to suppliers in the tender. To imply that this means the system is rigged is without basis.

My anecdotal evidence suggests that in some cases the criteria goes even further in restricting which company will be successful, to the point that it's reverse engineered.
So give us the anecdotes - point us to the tenders that were 'reverse engineered' and let us all take a view on this.

- it's a rigged system.
That's loser talk.

So give us the anecdotes - point us to the tenders that were 'reverse engineered' and let us all take a view on this.
Will I just make up some stories? A friend of mine said this was the case. The winner has already been chosen before the tendering process, so the tender was designed to make it much easier for that company to win. This is what I heard.

That's loser talk
Actually no, that's winner talk.
We look at things realistically, and instead concentrate our efforts on contracts we are likely to win. If we were to get bogged down with filling in tenders, then we would be real losers.

How can it be suggested that the tendering isn't rigged, when we can see at least one area (favouring large suppliers) where it obviously is? 'Soft corruption' is very hard to prove.

There isn't much else I can add to this discussion.

Will I just make up some stories? A friend of mine said this was the case. The winner has already been chosen before the tendering process, so the tender was designed to make it much easier for that company to win. This is what I heard.
The real question is; did you friend actually know what he was talking about, or was he looking for excuses to shoot the messenger, and blame someone for his failure. In the absence of any specific evidence, I know which option I think is more likely.

How can it be suggested that the tendering isn't rigged, when we can see at least one area (favouring large suppliers) where it obviously is? 'Soft corruption' is very hard to prove.
Favouring large suppliers is not evidence of 'rigging'. Favouring large suppliers is evidence of favouring large suppliers - no more, no less. You could make the same arguement about any particular criteria within a tender document, that it favours one supplier over the other. That is not evidence of rigging - just evidence that the tendering organisation is specifying their requirements.

So a friend told you and this makes it true.

I've stated before on this thread and so will simply state again: I've never had any reason to suspect that there is any form of rigging with any of the tenders I've put in for, whether won or lost.

I will state that we have been "asked" to tender for some work, but this was only ever where we had done work in the past for the client prior to the introduction of this system. Funnily enough, we never got the work in any of those cases even though the person was keen to work with us again.

However, to fuel the corruption issue, tenders are sent out even though a provider has already been selected...in the private sector.

I have no direct experience of tendering this way but I would think it is far less open to corruption than low value direct quotation. We have quoted for and won orders for various semi-sate organisations. They are usually very low value (a few thousand). The only time I saw any blatant corruption was when I was told that I would have to pay €X to an individual in order to get the work. We didn’t pay and we didn’t get the work.

I don't think this is a public/private sector issue.

I'm also not suggesting that any other system is necessarily better than the tendering process. Tendering is just not for us.

' If you believe it is, let's get some examples on the table - all the tenders are already in the public domain, so please tell us which specific tenders were written by a supplier, or even which were written in a way that favours a specific supplier'.

Lets be fair here,it does still go on. I was part of a 'successful' tender in the past when I worked for a large multi.
We were not the current supplier either. We met the 2 guys involved twice before the tender was even uploaded to e-tenders and gave them a total price including specifications of the equipment involved. We knew the total amount available for the equipment so included all the bells and whistles to bring it up to the spend amount.
Finally we had all the equipment on order the day before the tender became public. The tender docs were ours practically word for word, so I guess we met all the criteria;). The opposition even called us to congratulate us on the order when the docs were viewed by them.
I wouldnt dare mention the name of the body involved 9 (not Fas by the way) on any public forum.
Having called a few of my ex colleagues since this post first appeared, it appears this practice is still alive and well in this country.

' If you believe it is, let's get some examples on the table - all the tenders are already in the public domain, so please tell us which specific tenders were written by a supplier, or even which were written in a way that favours a specific supplier'.

Lets be fair here,it does still go on. I was part of a 'successful' tender in the past when I worked for a large multi.
We were not the current supplier either. We met the 2 guys involved twice before the tender was even uploaded to e-tenders and gave them a total price including specifications of the equipment involved. We knew the total amount available for the equipment so included all the bells and whistles to bring it up to the spend amount.
Finally we had all the equipment on order the day before the tender became public. The tender docs were ours practically word for word, so I guess we met all the criteria;). The opposition even called us to congratulate us on the order when the docs were viewed by them.
I wouldnt dare mention the name of the body involved 9 (not Fas by the way) on any public forum.
Having called a few of my ex colleagues since this post first appeared, it appears this practice is still alive and well in this country.

I didnt think it was possible to view successful tender documents? Surely they would contain sensitive information.

Very dissapointing to think that this is still going on, though I draw some succour from the karma aspect, i.e. noting your frustration with corruption in tendering process "I have given up on these tenders as they have proven in my particular case to be a waste of time and effort for zilch at the end" is payback for your previous participation in corrupt tendering.

Very dissapointing to think that this is still going on, though I draw some succour from the karma aspect, i.e. noting your frustration with corruption in tendering process "I have given up on these tenders as they have proven in my particular case to be a waste of time and effort for zilch at the end" is payback for your previous participation in corrupt tendering.

Different gig now complainer:D not with the multi any more:)
d

Where's my Karma?

Different gig now complainer:D not with the multi any more:)
d

You played your part in creating an environment of corruption in your industry, so don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you on the ass.
Where's my Karma?
In your imagination, with the rest of your makey-up stories about tendering.

In your imagination, with the rest of your makey-up stories about tendering.
So you believe Diddle's stories, but not mine!

Diddle's anecdote suggests that the tendering system is in fact rigged.

Back