Good News Thread

Firefly

Any takers for a "Good News Thread"? Plenty doom & gloom doing the rounds.

I'll start with something quite mundane...the weather. It's been gorgeous down here in Cork for the past few weeks. I brought the kids down the Mardyke last Saturday to kick the big, brown leaves and the small one started singing "The Banks". She is blessed with a lovely, sweet voice and it was wonderful.

We went up to the my favourite building, the Glucksman in UCC and there was an arts & crafts fare on, selling all matter of unique things. Some lovely pieces.

Finally, I am planning to make my Christmas cake this weekend!

Well I just finished a job which has taken me close to a year to complete.

Next I am building my own kitchen and will be designing every aspect of the project from scratch....not sure if that is good news or bad news.

Next I am building my own kitchen and will be designing every aspect of the project from scratch....not sure if that is good news or bad news.

We're doing the house up in Feb / March. Part of that is a new kitchen (our old one is from the 70s!). We've shopped around and IKEA looks like the option we're going to go with. I'd prefer something custom-made but it's beyond what we have. I'm excited as I like cooking. First purchase will be a decent coffee machine and an upgrade to my very old chef's knife.

We're doing the house up in Feb / March. Part of that is a new kitchen (our old one is from the 70s!). We've shopped around and IKEA looks like the option we're going to go with. I'd prefer something custom-made but it's beyond what we have. I'm excited as I like cooking. First purchase will be a decent coffee machine and an upgrade to my very old chef's knife.

I love cooking as well.

I do lots of different things, my sandwiches are to die for (according to my wife anyway).

My fav sandwich has to be my warmed chicken salad sandwich.

Get fresh organic chicken breasts.

Bake chicken with a pan of water under the chicken (chicken stays moist) use whatever seasoning you fancy, I personally like a very thin curry paste.

Get a loaf of granary bread (or whatever you fancy).

Take the chicken out when ready.

Put the bread in to the oven for about 3/5 minutes till it is slightly hard.

Chop the chicken into slices.

Then take the bread out and rub a clove of garlic over the bread, you can add butter if you like.

Then a thin squirt of mayo add the chicken and salad (I like green leaves on mine with peppers {not green ones} but you can have whatever you fancy).

Then eat

First thing I will be cooking is something that will go into a shiny, new Le Crueset casserole dish I have ready to go! Possibly a tagine.

I'd prefer something custom-made but it's beyond what we have.

I'm going to enlarge a window we have, raise a floor, knock one wall out to make a doorway, block another door way off and block it off as well as blocking off another access (spend more time running around this pillar)

I want to have 2 larder units side by side.

I'm going to have the dishwasher up high instead of down low against one wall.

We have a water filter ready to go and are debating getting a 'garbage disposal unit'.

Just working on what designs to use for the doors.

I'm going to enlarge a window we have, raise a floor, knock one wall out to make a doorway, block another door way off and block it off as well as blocking off another access (spend more time running around this pillar)

I want to have 2 larder units side by side.

I'm going to have the dishwasher up high instead of down low against one wall.

We have a water filter ready to go and are debating getting a 'garbage disposal unit'.

Just working on what designs to use for the doors.

Yeah, we're looking at something similar - knocking out the back window in our kitchen and replacing it with double doors onto a new patio at the back. We have a large utility but it's all over the place - the plan is to re-use some of our old kitchen units out there. Bought a 2nd oven / rotisserie grill thingie in Lidl too the other weekend - only 70 quid and going to have that in reserve for larger cooking like family get togethers and Xmas etc. I'm also putting in a larder. Can't wait!

Last edited:
My four year old daughter made her first batch of cookies ( mostly by herself ) yesterday - they went down a treat... good news for me - I like baking ( well the "consuming" side of baking - not the prep work :) )

Smile on her face was worth the "clean up" at the end...

First purchase will be a decent coffee machine and an upgrade to my very old chef's knife.
If you have hard water, like I do, then unless you descale your coffee machine regularly it will clog up. Because I know I'll forget I just buy cheap coffee machines in Amazon (£50 ish) and replace them every two years.
If you want sharp knives buy a good steel and learn how to use it (Youtube is good for lessons). €50 will get you a good one. Then you will always have sharp knives.

If you have hard water, like I do, then unless you descale your coffee machine regularly it will clog up. Because I know I'll forget I just buy cheap coffee machines in Amazon (£50 ish) and replace them every two years.
Thanks for that. Had a Gaggia years ago and the water killed it. Currently use an Aero-press and it's brilliant for one or 2 cups but it's a pain when we have people around. The plungers are rubbish too - you just end up with coffee-flavoured water!

If you want sharp knives buy a good steel and learn how to use it (Youtube is good for lessons). €50 will get you a good one. Then you will always have sharp knives.

Quite like the Global knives.

The good news here in Malaga is that it's pissing out of the heavens , God I've missed it !
Even better I'm watching the rain from a bar.

Last edited:
The good news here in Malaga is that it's pissing out of the heavens , God I've missed it !
Even better I'm watching the rain from a bar.

Beautiful day here Deise, the fragile sun is preparing its decent, the last of the big, brown leaves are clinging to the trees outside my office and I picked up a bottle of Jameson Caskmates over the weekend!

I had to bring an accident victim to hospital yesterday. They were through A&E as fast as the wheel chair would go, triage, prep for surgery all done within 20 mins. If you fall off a ladder in Dublin, you can be very well taken care of, very quickly.

I had to bring an accident victim to hospital yesterday. They were through A&E as fast as the wheel chair would go, triage, prep for surgery all done within 20 mins. If you fall off a ladder in Dublin, you can be very well taken care of, very quickly.

That's great. Which hospital (it would be good to acknowledge good service)?

Back