Good golf resort in Ireland

onway

My husband will be 40 soon and I would like to book a weekend in a nice hotel with a spa and a good golf course....any ideas?????????Will be travelling from Donegal so please don't suggest anything in Cork.....

I second the Carton House suggestion - definitely would make for a great break.

Or how about Newcastle, Co Down? For golf there's Royal County Down - arguably the finest in Ireland. It's right next door to the Slieve Donard Hotel, which has a fab spa.

Heritage at Killenard, Co. Laois. Just love it. And the spa!
Absolutley, Heritage no question. I've recommended this place several times on Askaboutmoney as well as to everyone I know, I unfortunately have no connection with it.
As a comparison, I've stayed in Fota Island, Faithlegg, Waterford Castle & Mount Juliet in recent years, and the Heritage stands way out on its own (although Mount Juliet - I stayed in the House - was pretty fantastic).

The Heritage Golf Course, designed by Seve Ballesteros who was also Club Captain for the first year, is a bit of a monster and a killer if you're not on form. But it is magnificent, it is the most manicured course I have ever seen. There is also a par 3 course which is beautiful, and a Sevy Golf Academy to iron out those little problems that all golfers find occurring from time to time!

And as MandaC says, the Spa ... - it's so nice I have driven the hour or so from my house to spend the afternoon there, have dinner in the Clubhouse, and driven home.

Absolutley, Heritage no question. I've recommended this place several times on Askaboutmoney as well as to everyone I know, I unfortunately have no connection with it.
As a comparison, I've stayed in Fota Island, Faithlegg, Waterford Castle & Mount Juliet in recent years, and the Heritage stands way out on its own (although Mount Juliet - I stayed in the House - was pretty fantastic).

The Heritage Golf Course, designed by Seve Ballesteros who was also Club Captain for the first year, is a bit of a monster and a killer if you're not on form. But it is magnificent, it is the most manicured course I have ever seen. There is also a par 3 course which is beautiful, and a Sevy Golf Academy to iron out those little problems that all golfers find occurring from time to time!

And as MandaC says, the Spa ... - it's so nice I have driven the hour or so from my house to spend the afternoon there, have dinner in the Clubhouse, and driven home.

Maybe good for golf but certainly not for food or service.

I spent a weekend in the Heritage and was very disappointed definitely not a 5 star hotel. The golf course was deserted too which isn't a very good sign

I spent a weekend in the Heritage and was very disappointed definitely not a 5 star hotel.
Sorry to hear that. I haven't been since last Autumn but the food was lovely then, as it has been on the 5 different times I've been there.

I've had one spa weekend and several golfing visits to the Heritage. The spa and the service was first class at all times. The golf course, while in very good condition, is rather bland IMO.

How about the Slieve Russell, never stayed there but I've heard good reports and the golf course is good.

Glasson near Athlone is very nice as well - lovelly course - not actually stayed in the hotel was at a meeting there and played the course which was excellent.

Back