Going rate (if there is such a thing!) for donation for funeral mass card?

Does anyone know what the going rate (if there is such a thing!) is for getting a funeral mass card signed (Dublin)?

Thanks.

I am saddened and astounded at just how much ignorance abounds regarding this subject. I know the thread is old but it is still available on search engines and so I should clarify for the sake of posterity :)

The mass card, signature, money, is completely irrelevant. You ask the priest to have a mass said for someone living or dead or any intentions. because you care about them and want to help, join in as best you can. Having a mass said is a special petition to God and is shared not just by you but all who attend the masses throughout the world. We all pray for each other and their intentions even though we will never know all the intentions throughout the world. The card signed or not is simply an aknowledgement of that intention, just like a Christmas card etc. WE DO NOT need a card to pray for each other as God see's all and hears all and knows our thoughts even before we do.

The money, usually around £5 is a gift to the priest, a tip if you may, and may or may not be given, there is no obligation. However we are obliged to support our faith in both prayer and deeds. This is simply one way we can actually help the church, otherwise who will pay for them if not us? You can also send a request to the missions around the world who will also have the masses said and pray for us and our intentions. Often this is the only source of income the missions will have and could be the difference between survival or collapse of the mission.

The devil truly makes work for idle hands as can be seen with the way this thread descended in to anger and conflict.

I hope this clarifies the true situation somewhat.
God Bless you all.
Pete Hilz

Mass Offerings

When people come to the Church to “have a Mass said”, they are using an ancient practice whereby they have Mass offered for someone who has died or, in general, for the souls in Purgatory.
In asking a priest to offer Mass for a certain intention, the accompanying gift to him is looked upon as an offering for the support of the priest, or the Church at large, or for a particular mission endeavour in some part of the world. It is never considered payment for the Mass.
Current Church law tells us (Canon 945) that “in accordance with the approved custom of the Church, any priest who celebrates or concelebrates a mass may accept an offering to apply the mass for a specific intention”.
The amount of the offering varies in different areas of the country. Again, Church law sanctions the custom by noting that whoever makes such an offering contributes “to the good of the Church and by that offering my share in the Church’s concern for the support of its ministers and its activities”. (Canon 946)
While approving the custom, the Church warns: “Even the semblance of trafficking or trading is to be entirely excluded from Mass offerings.” (Canon 947)
Consequently, Catholics would consider the expressing “buying a Mass” to be in very bad taste. Spiritual gifts can never have a price tag attached.
The Mass is the most perfect prayer a Catholic can offer to God. That is why so many of them want to continue the beautiful practice of “having a Mass said” for someone they love.
Having a Mass offered for joyous occasions, like a wedding, an anniversary, a birthday, or nameday, is also encouraged.
Every Parish Priest is bound by Church Law to offer Mass each Sunday and Church Holiday for the people of his parish.

Back